Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough mornings - any suggestions

Default Rough mornings - any suggestions

Hi All, I am back at work this week and it has been pretty rough. My LO is in a day care at the University I work at so I can go nurse her once or sometimes twice but I have to bring milk for the other 2 feedings and extra in the event that I can not make it to nurse her. I have to pump in the morning - after nursing but before leaving for work. How do you get up, nurse, pump, and get both you and your LO ready to leave in the morning? My DH is helping but it is still impossible. I have to leave by 7:45am to make it to work at 9am because I live outside the city and traffic is horrible where I live. It feels like I just need to stay up from our 4am feeding to make it out of the house by 7:45am.
    Right now it is 7:12 and I am pumping. My LO is sitting here next to me not dressed yet and I too am still in my PJs. I work in an office setting that requires me to dress up which I have found means bring a change of clothes b/c LO will spit up on me if I do not. I love her and wish I could stay home but my job is the better paying one so it is not possible (also I do really enjoy my work but I would gibe it up for my little girl). Add to all of he above, she has reverted to nursing every 2 hours at night and I am exhausted (we can't seem to side nurse successfully).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Rough mornings - any suggestions

let the baby stay in her pj's.. they will not care at day care.
    Either that or put her to bed in clothes. Have extra outifits in her bag.
    Pack everything that you need for the next day when you get home and your thinking about what needs to go in the bag.
    Cut back what ever you can..
    and go easy on your self its going to take about 30 days to make something a habit both for you and baby.
    good luck..

While I don't have to dress up for work (I babysit triplets everyday but Wed), I have to be up dressed, baby fed and dressed and out the door by 730am. What I do is pack our bags the night before. Diapers stuffed and in the bag, Shiloh's "lunch bag" packed (yogurt, veggies & fruit, nutrigrain bar, sipee cup), and I set it by the door. I make a list of things that need to be done. I fill the dogs' food bowl before I go to bed at night.

On the changing table I set out a diaper and an outfit for DS for the next day. I do the same thing with my clothes so I'm not standing in the closet trying to figure out what to wear.

These are just a few things that worked for us.

HTH,
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Can you pump on the weekends? Freeze your milk and then all you need to do is thaw it...

This is my first week back to work too. It was so hard to leave my little Riley! I don't have to go quite so far, but we do have to be out of the door by 7:15 so I can be at the office by 8:00. What's worked best is just staying up after the 5:00 feeding.

Things we do: I've got the bottles laid out, they just have to be filled with EBM; pump is cleaned and ready; clothes are ironed; baby bag is packed. I also shower the night before, so all I have to do is dampen my hair so it's not crazy. I've found the cutoff for getting Riley dressed if I want to feed him before we leave is 6:30. That way I can "top him off" before we leave.

I know it's hard, but we can do it!

I totally agree with previous posts about having as much as possible packed or laid out the night before and sitting by the door.

What's your situation at work - can you pump at work rather than needing to pump in the morning? If you don't need to pump at home that would cut out a huge step.

It's pretty common for LOs to reverse cycle in a new situation (like dealing with getting used to day care): http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

My Lo did this for the first week and a half of me going to work & him in day care. Then he got comfortable with eating enough during the day that he didn't need to eat so much at night. I found it helpful to park on the couch when I got home from work and settle in for an evening of marathon nursing and have DH do dinner and just about everything else. The more I could get in his tummy in the evening the less he seemed to need to eat overnight.

Hang in there - the first couple of weeks of a new routine are definitely the hardest!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks everyone. These are all great suggestions that I will try. I never thought about just pumping when I get to work. I guess if I had her nurse soem off of both breast it would soften them enough to make it to work w/o leaking too much. Will this change my supply? I produce more milk between 4am (after nursing at 4am) and 6am than at any other point of the day so I do not want to loose it.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Hmmm ... not a supply expert but I think that your body will adjust some to new feeding / pumping routines. I nurse my LO when he first wakes up and then once more right before we go out the door. I offer that second nursing even if its been a shorter interval than he usually goes between nursing. I've learned to either wait to finish getting myself dressed until after that second feeding or use lots of receiving blankets to cover myself because inevitably I'll either get covered in milk spray or spitup and then need to change. I pump twice at work - the first time about 2 or 3 hours after that last feeding and then another 3 hours after that.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

OMG I want to cry. I have to go back to work soon as well. Mary our babies are just one day apart. I am freaking out...we haven't found a sitter yet...our friend decided to volunteer at her daughters school and now I have no one. I am sick over this. I have till march but I want someone to come in and see how we take care of her. I DON"T want to go back...I have to as well...this sucks. How can I find a really good sitter? We are nanny camming the house but I am still sooooo paranoid.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

*hugs* mamas!

I'm starting on monday. i'm sooo nervous.