Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to feed meat?

Default When to feed meat?

Okay...Aidan had his 6 month shots this evening. The nurse administering his shots was surprised that I decided not to feed him cereal. As a result, she insisted that I feed him meat ASAP. She stated that at the age of 6 months babies are in desperate need of iron and I need to either get him on cereal or meat.

Now I'm totally paranoid...I'm still not going to feed Aidan cereal, but should I start feeding him meat? I read that meat shouldn't be introduced until at least 8 months of age.

Another question: every thing I've read about starting baby on solids states that they should be consuming X amount of teaspoons/tablespoons of fruits and veggies a day. There are days when Aidan doesn't want to eat much solids...should I be concerned or take it for what it is?

TIA

Default Re: When to feed meat?

What is it with the threads all over today with nurses! Some nurses are funny ! (no offense to any out there )
    WTH does she think is gonna happen if you don't start ASAP - ???
    okay - rant over

here's some info on First foods

Here's an LLL page on foods- I think down on the page it deals with meats.

Iron Supplemetation

I would venture to say if BM is his primary nutrition, at this state in the game, you are giving him all he needs! No worries about x # of TBS of pears, etc...but that's IMNSHO

However this page has a Truth/Myth article by Jack Newman that states the contrary ~ the numbered lines are the myths -

7. The breastfed baby 4 months of age needs to be getting more iron than can be provided by breastmilk alone.
    Not true. For the baby born at term who is breastfeeding exclusively, all the iron required is provided by breastmilk. However, by 6 months of age, more or less, it is prudent for the baby to begin getting more iron than that provided by breastmilk alone. The best way for your baby to get iron is through his food, and the best source of iron is meat, not formula, and not infant cereals.

8. The best way to assure the baby's getting enough iron is to give him infant cereals.
    Not true. Infant cereals do contain a lot of iron, but most of it is not absorbed, and this amount of iron seems to cause constipation in some babies. Furthermore, some breastfed babies who have had only breastmilk to 5 or 6 months of age do not like cereal. There is nothing wrong with infant cereal, but pushing this food on reluctant babies may result in later feeding problems.The best way to ensure the baby is getting enough iron is to continue breastfeeding, and introduce solid foods in a relaxed, enjoyable way at the appropriate time(See handout #16 Starting Solid Foods). The appropriate time is when the baby is showing interest in eating by reaching out for and trying to eat food the parents or other members of the family are eating. This occurs usually about 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 months of age. A baby this age can eat what the parents eat, with few exceptions. There is no need to be obsessive about the order in which foods are introduced, or trying to keep the baby eating only one food/week. The easiest way to give extra iron for the 6 to 12 month old baby is meat, the iron of which is very well absorbed. Start feeding the baby solids in a way that makes eating enjoyable, and the baby will eat iron containing foods just fine.

*~* And last but not least if there is a concern that his iron is low - just get it checked.

Good Luck!

OT - I can't wait to get my license - that way I know there's one less nut-case nurse out there... (well I guess thats a matter of opinion! : )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

meat is a good first food to start with, but the nurse probably replied to you with the same response she would a FF mom. Baby's start using their iron reserves about then so FF babies need more, BFed ones get it from the milk, but the meats are a good way to start and get lots of nutrients from.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thanks for the replies!

Number 3: Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

So I guess it's no biggie to start Aidan on meat then...I don't know if he'll eat meat cut in cubes or strips, but the idea of pureeing meat kinda wigs me out. Any ideas or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan's mom View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Number 3: Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

So I guess it's no biggie to start Aidan on meat then...I don't know if he'll eat meat cut in cubes or strips, but the idea of pureeing meat kinda wigs me out. Any ideas or suggestions?

don't taste it first

lol, seriously, pureed meat tastes weird, even if what you made it out of tastes good, don't know what, just start slow and wait for signs from your LO that they are ready.

ETA: not every babe is ready at 6 mo, KWIM? DS was 8 or 9 months and DD was 7 1/2 before they were interested
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

If the nurse or doctor is worried about iron level they can do a simple blood test (usually in office) to find out the iron levels. My DD was exclusivly breastfed beyond her 1st year and every test every month (docs were freaked out by this) showed everything was perfectly fine with all her vitamines, calcium and iron levels. Every baby is diffrent, but that is our experiance with it.

I puree all of my DD's meats and she loves them. I mix in my breastmilk with them and canola oil (she needs extra calories, that is the only reason for the canola oil). I have tasted it and it's not half bad, just like something I have already chewed up, yeah I know, TMI.....

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    I have tasted it and it's not half bad, just like something I have already chewed up, yeah I know, TMI.....
    heehee Ya I know what you mean! Thanks.

We started meat at 6-7 months. And, yes, pureed meat is weird! I don't know how it happens, but what starts out as a chicken breast becomes cat food when it comes out of the blender! Dis-gus-ting!

DD just had her 6 month appt last week and the nurse said the same exact thing. I then talked to the doctor (I go to a group practice, and I really like the new doc, he is a breastfeeding advocate) and he said she was crazy. LOL. Good to see a Doc there that doesn't come to ME for breastfeeding advice

Sounds weird but when my son was younger 6-7 months I would very finely chop up chicken and mix it with applesauce or sweet potato. My son gobbled it right down.