Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: home-made oatmeal?

Default home-made oatmeal?

My son really loves the Earth's Best apple/pear/oatmeal, but it's getting a bit expensive to buy. I know I am going to sound like an idiot, but how could I make the equivalent at home?
    I usually just pop some instant oatmeal in the microwave for myself (love Trader Joe's apple cinnamon oatmeal!), but I know I can't give my boy all that sugar. I looked a the ingredient list of Earth's Best, and one of the things on it is heavy cream-can I give this to a 8 month old? Trader Joe's sells organic pear puree and apple sauce, maybe I could throw that in?
    I'd appreciate some help from you baby-food makers out there. Thanks!
    Last edited by ppalagi; January 15th, 2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: confusing wording

Default Re: home-made oatmeal?

yup you can make your own oatmeal mixes its pretty easy..
    from this web site
    http://www.betterbudgeting.com/artic.../breakfast.htm
    Instant Oatmeal Packets

3 cups oats (quick cooking works best)
    salt
    8 small zip-like baggies

Process ½ cup oats in a blender (or 1 cup oats in a food processor) on high until powdery. Set aside. Repeat with additional ½ cup oats if using blender. Put the following into each baggie: 1/4 cup regular oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Store in an airtight container.

To serve, empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. Adjust water amount for thicker or thinner oatmeal.

Try some of the following variations:

Sweetened Oatmeal: Add 1 T. sugar

Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal: Add 1 T. brown sugar and 1/4 t. cinnamon

Raisins and Brown Sugar: Add 1 T. packed brown sugar and 1 T. raisins.

Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: Add 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, & 2 T. Chopped dried apples

Fruit and Cream Oatmeal: Add 1 T. non-dairy coffee creamer and 2 T. dried fruit

Health Nut Oatmeal: Add 2 T. any kind of wheat germ

To go along with AndreaOhio's great suggestions, I'll add that we just do regular oatmeal on the stove...I think the directions are 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, add 1/2 cup oatmeal, simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. It's really quick, even though its not the quick cooking oatmeal, although you probably could use that too, and then I just add whatever I want to flavor it. For instance, I might add a couple Tablespoons of blueberry applesauce, or regular applesauce(as long as the applesauce is pasturized...we do no sugar added stuff, but not everybody is as strict about that as we are) or, I might finely chop some canned blueberries and add them to the oatmeal to cook along with the oatmeal. This turns the oatmeal blue and adds little flecks of real blueberries, and is really really good. I've also been considering mashing a big chunk of banana to add after the oatmeal's cooked.

I don't puree oatmeal at all...never have, and my LO has had real oatmeal since sometime between 6 and 7 mos., and he got his first tooth at 9 mos., so he handled the texture just fine. Now, at almost 10 mos., he still loves oatmeal, I just have to add new fruits once in a while. I'm also going to try finely dicing apple and adding that to the oatmeal while it cooks so there are little chokeproof pieces of cooked apples in the oatmeal.

I just did it this way for the first time this morning:

Used regular quaker oats, not instant

used my fingers to crush it and make it a bit finer texture when it was dry

put in a little water, stirred

put in the microwave for 35-45 seconds

stirred, let sit for a bit to cool

stirred in some EBM and prunes for sweetness.

DD loved it, she is almost 10 months.

I feed my son regular quaker oats every morning. For added flavor I either put applesauce, mushed bananas or mushed cooked sweet pototo. I know the sweet potato sounds weird but he loves it and he gets some veggies that way. When he turned a year I also started adding a little whole milk, butter for fat and a tsp of flax oil for omega-3. It looks like a big bowl of goop but he wolfs it down. He eats a whole adult sized serving. He rolls out of his high chair every morning!