Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tongue tied

Exclamation tongue tied

so...i read all the basics on this...and i am wondering if this is kaya's problem bf....she uses her lips so tight on the breast they are cupped inward...and when i pull my breast out of her mouth my nipples are always flattened....always!
    a lactation consultant told me i may want to have her ped check her tongue....but it costs money and that is what is held me back thus far...
    does anyone think this is what it is...?????

Default Re: tongue tied

My son was tongue tied. The LC actually told us about it first because my nipples were cracked and bleeding. My son couldn't get the nipple far enough in his mouth. I don't remember if his lips were a problem.

My pedi said it wasn't that big of a deal, easy for him to say. So we went to a Ear Nose and Throat DR. He said it was very obvious and left it up to us. We got his tongue clipped at 21 days. No more sore nipples and he has a pretty good latch. We thought we were going to have to pay because I self referred, but our HMO covered it because it was necessary. I would have it checked out though.

Hi kaya's momma! Sounds like you may have two different issues going on- first, your baby has inward-turned lips when she nurses, and second, your nipples come out flat after she's done. You can correct the inward-turned lips by waiting until your daughter's mouth is open to its widest extent before letting her latch on, and then, if her lips are still turned in, by gently slipping a finger underneath and turning them outwards, one at a time. Eventually she'll learn that having outward-turned lips is a better way to nurse.

As far as the flat nipple issue goes, I would definitely see a pediatrician! Tongue-tie is apparently very easy to correct (One snip and it's done, apparently), and I can't imagine it is all that expensive, especially when you compare it to the expense you might incur if a poor latch causes you to have nipple trauma. (Cracked nipples put you at greater risk for mastitis, and for being in so much pain that you get tempted to quit breastfeeding...) Just compare the visit to the pediatrician to the cost of formula-feeding, which is thousands of dollars per year, and you'll realize that you'll be coming out ahead!

Good luck!

Here's a resource on tongue tie. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tonguetie.html

This article is very comprehensive and has great pictures. http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/8-27%20Newsletter.pdf

Signs that our son was tongue tied included an inability to stick out his tongue, frenulum was very visible when he was crying, and he chomped instead of sucking (causing pain for me.) Although it is easily corrected, our ped. wasn't helpful and the first ENT we went to wanted to give general anesthetic. Although it untimately was an office procedure, it was charged as a surgery. That said, I'm very thankful we had it done.

is there any other reason that this that my nipples would come out flattened....we saw her ped today and he refered us to a ear, nose, and throad dr. but he said it wouldnt be a severe case of tongue tie...so...is there any other reason for the flat nipples????

Just having a poor latch here the baby isn't getting your nipple back far enough will cause your nipple to be flattened. With tongue tie, the baby often can't maintain a good latch which then causes the flattened nipple. Although your pedi. didn't think it was a severe case, sometimes a more knowledgeable (and sypathetic dr.) will still think clipping is a good idea. My son could get his tongue over his gums, but he couldn't maintain that inorder to suck properly, so he mostly chomped.