Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: adding calories to my milk?

Default adding calories to my milk?

My baby was born with a cleft palate and so far as only been able to feed using a haberman feeder - I've been pumping milk regularly, and that's what she eats. Our ENT is concerned that she's still not getting enough calories and thinks we should add Human Breast Milk Fortifier to my milk so that she doesn't have to eat as much in order to get the calories she needs, or else we have to consider a feeding tube .
    Is there something *I* can do to increase the caloric value of my milk? I've been trying to eat healthier to shed some baby weight but my cousins have suggested I switch to whole milk, and generally increase my caloric intake to increase hers. Will this work? I'm willing to do anything to prevent the feeding tube, including going up ten dress sizes if necessary if it will actually work.
    All advice is appreciated.

Default Re: adding calories to my milk?

I don't have any advice, sorry, I just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you and DD. This is a great forum loaded with caring moms, someone here will have advice/recommendations, and everyone here extends limitless support! I wish you the best. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by elisheva_mom View Post
    My baby was born with a cleft palate and so far as only been able to feed using a haberman feeder - I've been pumping milk regularly, and that's what she eats. Our ENT is concerned that she's still not getting enough calories and thinks we should add Human Breast Milk Fortifier to my milk so that she doesn't have to eat as much in order to get the calories she needs, or else we have to consider a feeding tube .
    Is there something *I* can do to increase the caloric value of my milk? I've been trying to eat healthier to shed some baby weight but my cousins have suggested I switch to whole milk, and generally increase my caloric intake to increase hers. Will this work? I'm willing to do anything to prevent the feeding tube, including going up ten dress sizes if necessary if it will actually work.
    All advice is appreciated.
    I too have asked this same question and done some of the same research on it. There is no way to increase the calories of your breastmilk by diet or anything I could find - I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. All it will do is make mama fat. My daugther has a feeding tube, G-Button. If you need to talk, let me know.

According to what I have read, breast milk from all women is the same, except in cases of severe malnutrition. Sorry.
    The main thing here is that you are doing all that you can to provide your baby with the very best nutrition possible: Breast Milk. If you should have to suppliment don't get down on yourself, you are a good mama.

You know what. I just had this idea.
    When I refridgerate my milk I notice that the fat goes to the top once its cooled down. What would happen if you skimmed off some of the extra fat and threw it in with your bb's regular stuff? I wonder what your dr. would think of that?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 5th, 2007 at 04:11 AM.

The only thing I can suggest is to MAKE SURE that your babe is taking in loads of the hindmilk. If that requires you to pump a bit before putting her on your breast- It would be worth a try.
    Of course, you would want to run these ideas past your doctor probably, but I hope you figure it out.
    Best wishes.

This non-LLL resource offers some info on the caloric value of human milk and what affects it:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

Could you talk to an IBCLC? I would bet that she could be a liason between you and your baby's doctor. She could help you tweak your pumping routine so that you're getting the most hindmilk for your efforts. She may also have some suggestions for supplementing with hindmilk.

Do keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    This non-LLL resource offers some info on the caloric value of human milk and what affects it:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

Could you talk to an IBCLC? I would bet that she could be a liason between you and your baby's doctor. She could help you tweak your pumping routine so that you're getting the most hindmilk for your efforts. She may also have some suggestions for supplementing with hindmilk.

Do keep us updated!
    Why didn't I think of that... we've been working with an IBCLC since we brought our baby home from the NICU, but we've been so busy focusing on how to improve her feeding skills and use of the haberman feeder, it never occurred to me to ask her about how to maximize my hindmilk production. Talk about baby brain...

Thanks so much. I'll keep you all posted!

I had wondered the same thing as my son is a very slow gainer. I talked to a friend who is a Naturopathic doctor, and she recommended to take fish oil capsules. It doesn't add calories to the breastmilk, but enriches it in ways that supposidly helps the baby grow. I talked to the pediatrician about this, and she said that when a baby is put in the hospital for slow weight gain, they use oils (She didn't mention which ones) to help. I haven't tryed it yet...but as soon as I figure out how to swallow the pills, I'm gonna' give it a shot. (The capsules that I bought are HUGE, and I have a hard enough time swallowing a tylenol! LOL) Good luck with your little one!