Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It's happening....and neither of us are ready!

Unhappy It's happening....and neither of us are ready!

I'm 11 wks. pregnant, my barely-there milk supply is soon to be a thing of the past. The closer I get to the 2nd trimester, the less milk I have and it's dropping dramatically each day.

Dd is almost 13 months. She's nowhere near ready and b/c of that I'm not ready. I won't miss the nipple pain that came with the combination of the new pregnancy and nursing, but ready or not - it's almost over.

The problem: I cannot get her to drink milk, water, juice, watered down juice, whatever....she was drinking lots of water from a sippy cup when our nursing was going well. She's never taken to a bottle. She's eating solids 4 x's a day (mostly pureed fruits), but I don't think she's getting enough hydration. Now that my milk is drying up, she's protesting other forms of liquid. Does she get enough liquid from the babyfood?

Any suggestions? I want to be sure she is getting enough of everything. Is there a solid/liquid intake chart per pound of baby or something like that? How do I know it's enough calories, enough ounces, enough??
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: It's happening....and neither of us are ready!

does she like fruit? I think if she ate a good amount of fruit, you wouldn't have to worry about hydration too much.
    I would keep pushing - maybe she will take a drink eventually.
    Also, have you tried giving her a cup with a straw. Most toddlers seem to love to drink this way and it might be different enough that she will think it is fun.

Hope this helps.

Curious how you know your supply is drying. Is she wetting less diapers or has she been telling you?

good luck.

I'm trying to find the link, but I know babies post 12 months are supposed to have 16-24 ozs of dairy a day..that can include cow/soy milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

The kids I babysit for each have their own "big cup" in the fridge. The mom's goal is 16ozs/day. They each eat 4ozs of yogurt at lunch and 1oz cheesestick for an afternoon snack. Then in their big cup she puts 11oz of milk. She then makes sure that they finish that cup before they go to bed that night. She aims to get all that milk in them...knowing that its ok if they don't get it all down...it just gives her an idea of how much they are getting.

A little too anal retentive for me, but it works for them...so just an idea.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

To answer your question Lisa...First is my letdown, it's always been a very strong pins-n-needles sensation, I can feel the milk coming and then I hear her beginning to swallow, she nurses on one side until I don't hear her swallowing anymore just suck-suck-suck, then she pops off frustrated, then I switch her to the other side where she usually fills up before I run out.

Now things are very different, I can still feel the letdown, she still gets frustrated when she runs out on the first breast, it's just MUCH faster than it used to be. Now, she's frustrated when she's finished with the other side instead of satisfied....also happening a lot faster!

Not to mention, my breasts just feel so empty now. It really makes me feel inadequate to my baby...but I know it's my body's way of taking what it needs for the pregnancy.

She does eat fruit and yogurt and my ped. agreed with the 16 to 24 oz. of milk product.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I quoted the 16-24 oz of milk to my ped. and she thought that was way too much. She told me it only spoils the appetite--that 12 oz is a good target. She gave me dietary guidelines that suggest 3-4 serving of dairy a day (with 1 serving of milk being close to three oz.).

My DD does not like cow's milk, will only drink a little at a time. But she gets her dairy from cheese, yogurt etc.

I can understand why this is hard for you! DD and I wouldn't have been ready to wean then either.
    To encourage your DD to eat more, my suggestions are to continue to offer beverages and a variety of finger foods often. It might be time to move from purees to finger foods. The straw idea is great for beverages! I think little kids like to eat or drink more when they get to "help" pick out the dishes and prepare the food. Take her with you to the grocery and give her some options to pick from. It may seem like she's a little young for that, but I think you'll find that she will pick up on it. Let her carry one or two items to the register, that kind of thing. My kids love eating things they've picked out or helped prepare.
    Just an idea!
    HTH and your pregnancy is going well.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

try milk shake smoothies... if my kids get to run the blender they will drink what ever comes out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    I'm trying to find the link, but I know babies post 12 months are supposed to have 16-24 ozs of dairy a day..that can include cow/soy milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom View Post
    I quoted the 16-24 oz of milk to my ped. and she thought that was way too much.

Just wanted to clarify...that's 16-24 ozs of dairy...not just milk. That can come in any combination of dairy products. The RDI of calcium for babies 1-3 years old is 700mg. One 8oz cup of milk contains 295mg which averages out to 19ozs a day...right in the middle of 16-24ozs a day of dairy. Now of course there are plenty of other dietary ways for a baby to get the needed calcium...milk is just the easiest. Plenty of vegetarian families get their needed vitamins and minerals without the use of dairy.

The calcium in 8ozs of milk is equal to the calcium in 4 cups of broccoli. Just as an example.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!