Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to nurse with Daddy

Default Trying to nurse with Daddy

Whenever my husband holds dd, she lets herself "fall" into a side-lying position and tries to nurse on him. The only position he can hold her in where she doesn't do this, is to have her facing forward with her back to him. This is making dh frustrated as he never feels he gets any good cuddle time with her. He'll end up giving her to me and saying she's hungry. I know she isn't always hungry when she does this since I'll offer her the breast and she won't want it.

I try to tell him it's a compliment since she doesn't do this to anyone else who holds her. In fact she doesn't do it to me when I hold her upright in the same position. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Default Re: Trying to nurse with Daddy

Whenever my husband holds dd, she lets herself "fall" into a side-lying position and tries to nurse on him. The only position he can hold her in where she doesn't do this, is to have her facing forward with her back to him. This is making dh frustrated as he never feels he gets any good cuddle time with her. He'll end up giving her to me and saying she's hungry. I know she isn't always hungry when she does this since I'll offer her the breast and she won't want it.

I try to tell him it's a compliment since she doesn't do this to anyone else who holds her. In fact she doesn't do it to me when I hold her upright in the same position. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
    Although it sounds sweet, he is frustrated, which is understandable. Has he thought about holding her upright in a sling? Perhaps facing forward in the sling, she will get the picture that it's not time for nursing, or even front facing.

Yep. My daughter does this too. LOL Poor hubby just wants to hold. All she wants to do is nurse.

It is kinda cute! I don't have any advice but my dd does this to whoever is holding her right before her feeding time.

Even my 10 month old sometimes tries to nurse on my dh?!? I think that it is sweet.

My 9 MO does the same thing. My DH used to sleep with no shirt on, but that's come to an end after a couple of near misses on DD's part. If she ever did actually grab one, I wonder who would be more shocked, him or her?!

This may be totally wacky (and weird for my very first post here) but would DH possibly be open pulling his shirt up to letting her attempt to comfort nurse on him?
    Men do have nipples. And either it would work which would lead to an interesting bonding session. Or it wouldn't, so she would get the idea that it wasn't worth trying anymore.
    Just trying to think outside the box.