Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have OALD and low milk supply?

Default Is it possible to have OALD and low milk supply?

I have been dealing with OALD since LO was born. But he is rejecting the left breast now as it seems very slow. Can I up my breast milk production without bringing back the OALD?

Lyn

Default Re: Is it possible to have OALD and low milk supply?

Bumping for an answer?
    DS's ped is recommending for me to take Fenugreek to build my milk supply. I struggled with OALD in the past and did block feeding.

Is taking fenugreek going to bring back the OALD? Should I continue block feeding?

I've never leaked or sprayed milk, so I'm confused.

THANKS
    Lyn

I am sorry... but what is oald?

Gosh Lyn, I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed this! Things were hectic here for a while, but I thought I had my eye on all of the active threads.

Anyway, before I attempt to find you the info you need...I have a few more questions.

How old is DS?

You mentioned having OALD but not leaking or spraying. These are certainly not the only symptoms of OALD, but could you tell me what symptoms you/ds did have? Did you do anything else to help with the OALD?

You did block feeding. For how long? When was that?

Yes, it is possible to increase supply to that side by increased feedings. If you want to do that, I can try to help you manage the OALD while doing so. As you probably know, OALD and over-supply do not necessarily go hand-in-hand, although many women to experience them together.

OALD= over active let down

Kate
    DS was dx with reflux @ 10 days. However, at about 2 weeks he started fighting the breast, coughing, choking, lots of green poop. I started block feeding and leaning back to nurse. This greatly improved things. Yellow poop ONLY now And for awhile, he would nurse pleasantly.
    Now @ 7 weeks he is fighting the breast again. I was thinking it was the OALD again, but this time he gets frustrated about 5-7 minutes into it. My pediatrician thinks that he is mad that the flow is too slow. (What a picky baby ) So she wants me to increase my milk by taking fenugreek. I am just scared this will cause the OALD again. But maybe DS wants a faster flow now that he is older? It is so hard to figure it all out because we are still dealing with reflux. But when he used to drink, there would be a little at the corners of his mouth, and he would come off done, with milk dribbling on his cheek. That doesnt happen anymore. Breast compressions work to keep him latched for a little bit longer.

I am starting the elimination diet today aswell. We WILL get this worked out.

Can you instruct me on the best way to take the Fenugreek? Ped said 3000 mg.

Thanks
    Lyn

Do you still lean back to nurse?

I try, but DS gets mad. He nurses best when we lay down.
    Lyn

I cannot *tell* you to take fenugreek, but I can give you the information that is in the LLL Breastfeeding Answer Book, page 170: 3 capsules, 3 times a day (capsules are 300-350 mg each).

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html
    (not LLL source)

I would urge you to remember that oversupply is not the same as OALD, so just because you are trying to build supply it does not necessarily mean that the OALD will get worse. One would think that it would follow that more milk=forceful let-down. But that is not always the case.

Side-lying nursing is also helpful for a baby dealing with OALD. It allows the baby to control flow better, even to the point of allowing some milk to drip out the sides of the mouth when it is too much.

Keep me posted and if you feel like you are starting to have problems, definitely post again.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Last edited by LLLKate; January 26th, 2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks Kate
    I started taking it yesterday. Ped said 3000 mg. So for me thats 5 pills a day. They are 600 mg per capsule. Organic and vegan. I only took 2 pills last night and I was already smelling like syrup!

I also started the elimination diet yesterday. Woohoo. Lets hope this really helps DS feel better.

Lyn