Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek Question?????

Default Fenugreek Question?????

I just bought some Fenugreek at GNC. The bottle says to take one to two capsules daily. I keep reading threads here and people are taking 3 capsules 3 times daily. What is recommended to increase supply? I also bought some Mother's Milk Tea, is it okay to combine them?

Default Re: Fenugreek Question?????

hi there!
    yes, it's totally fine to take fenugreek and drink mother's milk tea at the same time.
    as for fenugreek dosage, i take 3 capsules 3 times a day. this kellymom link has more dosage information: Fenugreek Seed for Increasing Milk Supply. you should see an increase within 48-72 hours.

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I too see the two capsules 3 times daily on my bottle. I've been taking the fenugreek and drinking mothers milk tea 4 times daily, as well as increasing the protein in my diet (per a LC). When should I see my supply increase? My baby is still acting fussy at the breast, and seems like she is starving all the time. I'm doing all I can to increase supply, but it seems like it just isnt working.

I'm not sure how documented all this is but it works for me. I drink mother's milk tea 2-3 times per day and eat oatmeal every morning. I also try to eat more meat and I drink at least 9-10 glasses of water a day. Since I have started doing this, supply has not been a big problem. I dont know if meat/protein makes a difference, but it seems to help me. HTH

Hi! I had to do Fenugreek with my 3rd child after a big supply drop following mastitis. The lactation consultant that worked with me recommended 3 caps three times a day- always with food. I'm now nursing my 4th child and haven't had any supply issues, but did want to increase my supply when I started working some so that I could pump. I starting eating all the oatmeal I could get my hands on and I noticed that I would feel engorged again if I ate a good amount of oatmeal. I have a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that also have brewer's yeast and flaxseed meal in them and they are called "lactation boosting cookies." They are yummy and also made a huge increase in my supply.

With taking Fenugreek, will it increase production in someone who has an adequate supply? I will be returning to work and want to keep my supply up and be able to stockpile as much as I can beforehand.

Also, with oatmeal - does it matter what the source is? Does it have to be the whole grain or can it be instant? Granola bars with oatmeal count?

Can you please post the recipe for the cookies?

I don't think the dosage on the bottle is for increasing milk supply. I think that's just a general dosage.

I think the fenugreek (in my own experience) will increase your supply even when it is adequate. Also on the oatmeal- I don't think it matters what type of oatmeal it is since I'm horribly addicted to the oatmeal cookies they sell at the mall and I doubt they use really high quality oatmeal! And, I've eaten those Quaker breakfast cookies and noticed a difference too. I'll scrounge around and see if I can find the recipe again.

Here's the recipe. Also- it makes a huge amount of cookies and they do spread out a fair amount- so make sure that you give plenty of room between each cookie. Also, the dough freezes really well. I baked about 2 dozen, then went ahead and scooped out the dough for more and froze it, then transferred to a ziploc bag once it was frozen.

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies (created by Noel Pickett noel@clubmuse.com)
    Ingredients

* 1 cup butter or marg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    * 1 cup or more chocolate chips
    * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

I started the Fenugreek (increased amt) today and will try the oatmeal and make these cookies over the weekend and see how it goes! Hopefully it will help. Also, I'm going to try not to supplement and just feed the baby and pump for work next week! Hopefully I'll see some kind of increase and he will be happier! I'd really like to stop supplementing.

Thanks for all the great information everyone has posted. This has been a great help!