Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wanting to wean

Default wanting to wean

I plan on starting to wean soon. But I have a concern about milk senstivity. I have given my ds yogurt and small amounts of milk and soon after he spits up horribly and he has loose stools. It dosnt seem like vomit to me. He has had problems with spit up but has pretty much stopped when he was about nine months old. He will be one on the 20th. Does this sound like a milk allergy to you? I am concerned about soy because it dosnt have the fat that babies need for brain development and I am not sure I want to nurse for another year. Will he get used to the milk and stop the spit up?

TIA
    Anne

Default Re: wanting to wean

Probably a milk sensitivity...it most likely will not stop. Have you tried giving him products like Lactaid? Most sensitivity comes from the lactose in milk products...

my daughter was very milk sensitive, I couldn't eat dairy when she was breastfeeding even. she would projectile vomit soon after. when she was nearly a year old I ate some cake at my nans who then later realised the topping was made with cream so I shouldn't of. my daughter wasn't sick and from then I could eat small amounts but she couldn't eat it herself. think she was about 18 mths old before she could. my doctor told me milk protein intolerance was much more likely than lactose intolerance, which is more serious and doesn't normally go away whereas milk protein intolerance normally does by the time a child is 2 years old

Quote Originally Posted by caldangel View Post
    Probably a milk sensitivity...it most likely will not stop. Have you tried giving him products like Lactaid? Most sensitivity comes from the lactose in milk products...

I doubt it's the lactose. Human milk is very high in lactose.

Soy milk is an option, but you have pointed out that it doesn't contain omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & ARA) - but neither does cow's milk.

Maybe a solution is to cut back a bit on nursing instead of full weaning. Your ds may be able to tolerate cow's milk later.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut View Post
    I doubt it's the lactose. Human milk is very high in lactose.
    Yes, but human lactose and cow lactose are slightly different.

It could be the inability to break down the proteins, too as one of the posters mentioned...