Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - suggestions?

Unhappy Please help - suggestions?

Last night DD woke up around 2:30. I nursed her on the left breast for about 10 minutes - she has gotten quite efficient - and then laid her on my right side (we cosleep) for her to nurse the right side. She nursed a bit at first and then began fussing and pulling off, then hopping back on again, off, on, off, on, etc. for about 20 minutes or so. By now both of my nipples were not just hurting - they felt like they were BURNING! I put lanolin cream on both nipples and just let her cry until DH got up (had to make him do something at this point). By the time he got up and had changed her and was rocking her I was crying over the combination of the burning pain and how frustrated I was at the situation and how tired I was (we are in our 6 week growth spurt). After about a half hour or so, I felt better and while it pinched a bit, I was able to nurse her and we all went back to sleep.

My question is, I've had her go on and off a bit and yeah, it hurts a bit, but I've never had it hurt so bad I was crying. Was this ONLY because she was latching and pulling off and latching and pulling off, etc? Or could there be another problem? She has no white in her mouth and no diaper rash. Does anyone who cosleeps have a suggestion about how to keep her from doing this if you are not holding her like you would in a cradle hold but just lying beside your baby? I don't think I can nurse her upright and then have her sleep besides us just because she is a HUGE comfort sucker and I'm sure it would take forever to get her to sleep without the sucking. She will comfort suck 2 or 3 times longer than she nurses.

Thanks.

Katherine

Default Re: Please help - suggestions?

Could be teething. Could be her ears. Could be thrush. Might want to have a Dr visit just to rule out the serious stuff.

Default Re: Please help - suggestions?

It sounds like your baby wasn't latched on properly in the first place. Try to get her to latch on perfectly each and every time. If she's in the middle of a growth spurt she could be pulling off the breast like that in frustration. It should pass within a day or so. Hang in there!!!