Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period returned today, but am still BF'ing

Default Period returned today, but am still BF'ing

Hi guys.

I need some help. I am crushed right now. My son will be 8 months old on the 16th. He is eating solids now, but I still breastfeed. I pump 2-3 times a day at work and nurse him the rest of the time. My milk has decreased lately when pumping, but that has happened before several times. My son is still able to get enough when he nurses, so I have not worried much about not making enough. However, my period just started. Does that mean my body is weaning itself? Do I have to buy formula now? I still want to nurse him. I do no want to stop right now. I am heartbroken. I only send 2 bottles to daycare with him so those are the only feedings that would have have to be supplemented. Do I just wean totally or can I send half milk/half formula to daycare then nurse him the rest of the time while keeping up my pumping routine at work? Maybe I am making too much of this, too. Does having my period back mean my body is done making milk? For those fo you who have supplemented, did your baby take the formula well? Did they want to go back to the breast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Period returned today, but am still BF'ing

NO, getting your period definitely does not mean you have to wean at all!! There are a lot of moms who get their periods back within a couple of months of birth even.
    It is true that with starting solids and getting your period, it's possible that your supply took a temporary dip. Just keep pumping and feeding and you most likely won't have a problem. My supply took a dip during the 6-8 month time (when we started solids) but it bounced back.
    So glad you found us! I found this board when my DD was 10 months and now I wonder how I ever made it that far without these ladies and all this great info.
    The La Leche League breastfeeding site is great for BFing information. Another one of my faves is Kellymom Parenting and Breastfeeding.
    Good luck. Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

THANK YOU! I was just over at a friend's desk in tears over this. I love breastfeeding my son. I have never once felt stuck or tied down. I look forward to that time with him every day. I know he is growing up and getting bigger, but I am not ready to let go. I send him with 2-6oz. bottles to daycare then nurse him the rest of the time. I have about 2-3 weeks of frozen milk in the freezer and pump about 6-8ozs. a day. So I know I can make enough to feed him at daycare. You just made my day! My sister was so mean and told me to just get over it and to wean him all together. She hated breastfeeding so she was very thoughtless about it. You made me feel better and I appreciate it. I am going to do my best to get him to that 12-month mark, but for now I want to get him to 9 months. I already know I have enough to get him to 8 months. I am glad to know that you went through a dip at this time, too. I will jsut work even harder at keeping my supply as long as I can.

I love this site, too.

NO, you definitely don't have to wean once you get your period back. mine came back a few months ago (son is 8 1/2 months old) and my supply dipped tremendously but i'm still pumping non-stop and BF'ing as usual.

Molly is totally right. I got my period back 3 months after having my son. He is now almost 13 months old and still nursing. My supply always dips a bit every month but I just nurse more.

I got my period at 5 months PP and have been breastfeeding successfully for several months beyond that! I do have a little dip when I get my period, but nowhere near needing to wean.

I also get sore nipples when I am ovulating for a day or two (or at least that is what I've figured out is the case, just when I think it's a recurrence of thrush it goes away and is about the time I ovulate...).

Make sure to stay hydrated! My supply started dwindling after 9 months or so, but I got inconsistent with pumping at work and also started eating less and less in an effort to lose weight, and upped my exercise. And to be honest I cut my water intake by accident. But there are things you can do to increase your supply so just stick with it until YOU make the decision - not your sister or anyone else! If you decide to let your baby self-wean then it can be done!

I drink so much a day. I drink 3-32oz. cups of water at work then drink more at home. I also eat oatmeal. I have gone from 3-2 pumping sessions at work, but I am back up to 3. I need to making pumping a job, too. I have pumped twice today and have only gotten 3oz. total :-( I will pump again at 4. My son also gets ups 1-2 times a night and I nurse him then. So I am doing my best. I have gone through big dips before and always manage to keep it going. I was just concerned that my period will really wreck havoc on my supply despite my actions telling my body I need to make milk.

So what kind of period can I expect? I am still on the mini pill and I didn't have any cramps today or any indication really that my period was returning.

Your situation sounds so close to mine. I got my period back at the same point, and I also send two bottles of EM to daycare. I've noticed my supply takes a bit of a dip right before it is to start, then comes back up after it's over. I just keep pumping on my regular schedule and get what I get. If I don't get enough, then I dip into my store. (That's what it's there for, right?) You might also find that as your baby moves more into eating food, that some days you can get away with sending a short bottle. When this happens I have my daycare give him the short bottle in the afternoon, then if he is still hungry then I can nurse him right away when I get home at 4:30. As hard as it is, try not to stress though, it's a vicious cycle: the more you stress the less you get, and the less you get the more you stress.

~Toni

Quote Originally Posted by carter's mommy View Post
    THANK YOU! I was just over at a friend's desk in tears over this. I love breastfeeding my son. I have never once felt stuck or tied down. I look forward to that time with him every day. I know he is growing up and getting bigger, but I am not ready to let go. I send him with 2-6oz. bottles to daycare then nurse him the rest of the time. I have about 2-3 weeks of frozen milk in the freezer and pump about 6-8ozs. a day. So I know I can make enough to feed him at daycare. You just made my day! My sister was so mean and told me to just get over it and to wean him all together. She hated breastfeeding so she was very thoughtless about it. You made me feel better and I appreciate it. I am going to do my best to get him to that 12-month mark, but for now I want to get him to 9 months. I already know I have enough to get him to 8 months. I am glad to know that you went through a dip at this time, too. I will jsut work even harder at keeping my supply as long as I can.

I love this site, too.
    You are so welcome! It made my day to know that I could offer some useful advice!
    I'm sorry your sister was so thoughtless. I've had experiences like that at times, like my stepmom saying I should wean when DD broke a tooth! It is a good thing we have each other for some sanity.
    My period's still messed up so I can't really help you there, except they can take a little while to get back to normal.
    Take care!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on