Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Completely Lost!

Default Completely Lost!

I am in desperate need of some help! I want to wean my 14 month old. I am 19 weeks pregnant. I have no idea how to go about doing it though because he is totally dependant on nursing in order to fall asleep. My breasts have been soo sore during the pregnancy that I am beginning to resent the entire nursing experience and I don't want to do that. I am down to only nursing him 3 times a day...morning and afternoon nap and bedtime. But he is a horrible sleeper. He will nurse for upwards of 30 mintues just to calm himself down enough to sleep. We have a great bedtime routine...I just don't know what to do. I really need help. Whenever, I even try to just sit and cuddle with my boy he will pull at my shirt and scream in my ear until I give in and let him nurse. He will bite and kick me in my stomach...which...with the new baby on the way is really starting to get uncomfortable. I understand that all this means that maybe he is not ready to be weaned...but I AM! I can't keep going like this...please help!!!!!

Default Re: Completely Lost!

you poor thing!
    haven't been there yet, but I sympathize! Someone will post with info soon I'm sure! hmm, what if you pumped milk, then introduced it in a bottle?
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 4th, 2007 at 03:46 AM.

We've done that before...he's not a fan...plus I am not able to pump much...I have no idea how much he is actually getting...but then again I have never really been a good pumper...arg. Thanks for the encouragement

You might want to change up your nighttime routine a bit. Maybe with the change in routine, he won't notice? I know that my 15 month old REALLY knows his routine, to the point that he's walking to the next "station" before I can even say anything. If you change the order and the contents of the routine, maybe it would help.

If your DS is kicking you, you might try putting him down altogether. He needs to get the picture that kicking you is absolutely unacceptable, no matter if you're pregnant or not.

I would also continue dropping feedings. Start with the morning one, then the nap one, then the nighttime one. Give yourself a week between each dropped feeding for your body and your LO to adjust. When it's mother-led weaning, it is more difficult. If you have decided that you want to wean, then don't give in. It really only makes things more difficult and confusing for your LO when you do.

I did a little bit of the CIO method, too, from time to time with my kids. Not sure if that's for you. It was a few days of stress, but paid off for us.

Lisa
    Last edited by ljgrile; January 4th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

Any suggestions for how to change up the nap routine to make him drowsy enough to be able to go to sleep. I usually feed him a big meal before nap. Dim the lights in the house, we play quietly together for a little bit depending how much time is left before nap. Then we go into his room with the lights dim, rock, nurse and hum. I usually wait until he is either asleep or very drowsy before I lay him down. I just don't know what else to do to get him to nap...he is just really bad at going down for naps. I have tried reading, but he gets angry and frustrated and just wants to nurse. At first I would let him nurse while I read to him...but even sometime with that he will just try to get the book out of my hands so he can cuddle in closer and nurse. Like I said...I AM LOST!!!

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe the timing of the nap needs to be changed? I know that with my 15-month old, timing was everything for getting him to go down for a nap. Go too soon, and he wasn't ready to settle down, wait too long, and he was too overtired to be able to settle down.

If nothing else, keep doing what you're doing, and if you are truly wanting to wean, then don't offer the breast. It may take a while, but he will learn to go with the new routine. Once you've got naptime down, nighttime will be sooo much easier.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help....

Lisa

What always helps us is getting Makayla vigorous play, outsie if possible, for 45 minutes in the morning...shortly before lunch and another 45 minutes in the afternoon shortly before dinner. Playing catch...taking her to a playground...

I second the vigorous play. Get the kid absolutely exhausted while establishing a new nap routine. Nap is harder because they just aren't as tired as night time. So LOT of exercise and a temporarily later naptime should help. Then make sure you have some very specific cues that will lead to sleep once things are established. Darkening shades (or in my case towels on the windows) make a huge difference too. And some white noise or classical music...

I tried outdoors activities with vigorous play this week and it just seemed to get him more awake and then unable to nap. I am at a loss. Anymore ideas?

I'm sorry, I hope someone else can offer some more ideas for you. In the meantime, all I have to say is, YOU POOR THING!!! You've tried so many different things. I'm hoping you'll have some relief soon.

Lisa