Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't sleep well, constantly breastfeeding, diarrhea

Default Baby won't sleep well, constantly breastfeeding, diarrhea

I was wondering if there are any mothers who can relate! My husband and I are exhausted and we need some help!

We have a three month old baby girl and since she never sleeps for long periods of time. The longest is a two hour nap at around 12pm in the afternoon. The rest of her "naps" are usually no longer than 20 minutes. The only way we can get any sleep at night is by breastfeeding her in bed, and I don't just mean feeding her and then going to sleep. She has to actively be on the breast to sleep! I will wait up to half an hour before trying to quietly break her off but 9 out of 10 times she will wake up instantly and start fussing and burst into tears if she doesn't get the breast back.

Sometimes I am able to take her off and she falls asleep, but if we put her in her car seat to nap or in our bed, she will be awake and crying within five minutes. Even if I let her sleep on my lap it isn't for long!

I used to be able to lie down with her and breastfeed her to sleep and then at least manage to sleep through her sucking all night but lately she has been breaking off the breast and bursting into tears and nothing will console her.

She has thrush but we gave her medication for a few weeks and couldn't beat it. One of the doctors we saw even said that because it's only on her tongue, we don't need to bother treating it. It doesn't seem to bother her in the daytime though, as she is a different baby in the mornings and very calm and easy to put to sleep. I also think she might have reflux as her stomach is often grumbling and she makes painful faces before waking up.

I'm so worried about her not sleeping and I'm worried if I don't have enough milk (she keeps breaking off and crying?) In addition, she poops two to three times a day and they are usually very watery diarrhea with a foul smell.

I'm out of ideas and I hate to let her "cry it out" but even if we walk her and let her cry, she will still sleep only a few minutes before needing to breastfeed or bursting into tears.

I have no idea what to do! Any suggestions would be great. Did any of your babies do this? She refuses a pacifier or a bottle of pumped milk, too.

Thanks for the help!

~ Cyrennia

Default Re: Baby won't sleep well, constantly breastfeeding, diarrhea

hi, welcome to the forum!
    It sounds like your really going through some sleep problems yourself what with all the nursing! So I'm wondering if you ought to consider getting another dr's opinion. From what I understand Thrush is treatable and could be contributing to you bb's discomfort. Also, I have a 2 1/2 month old that stays latched all night. He stays near pretty much all the time, however he does sleep some. What do you know about reflux? I don't know much but someone here will.
    Here is a link all about poop:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

The bottle thing, well... my ds won't take one if he can even sense with his super breast-ray vision that I am around. Can your partner do it? hth. hang in there!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I will keep trying on the bottle thing but my sister says I've missed the window and she is too old now. But I will keep at it for my husband to give it to her. Thanks also for the poop link.

I'm interested to hear about your baby staying latched all night. Will he wake up if he comes off the breast? Do you find you can sleep comfortably this way? I must be doing it somewhat wrong because I put my arm above her head and it's so uncomfortable when I breastfeed at night.

Please get a second opinion about the trush, it sounds to me as if shes in discomfort which is why shes always wanting to be nursed to get comfort from you. Thrush can make their mouths sore and she could also pass it into your breast which is very very painfull. I in fact have that now and its really not nice.

I hope you find some answers soon hunny im sorry I couldnt be anymore help.

I should probably clarify. Although the doctor told us we didn't need to treat the thrush, he still gave us a prescription for nystatin. I know the thrush might be bothering her but she only acts like this at night, which made me wonder whether or not it was a factor.

We've still got lots of nystatin left but we gave up after seeing no progress for weeks and her tummy being upset from the medicine. Maybe we should try again.

If thrush is untreated will she eventually "grow out of it?"

Thanks for the reply.

My 3 month old likes to stay latched on almost all night as well. I have tried getting up after he is asleep and he usually immediately wakes up as well. Sometimes when he gets fussy and pops off and cries during the night I find it is b/c he needs to burp or sometimes just switching sides helps. He very rarely pops off on his own but is actually just starting to do it more often during the night - although he has to sleep right up close to me so it is still somewhat uncomfortable sleeping. When I lay down to nurse him I have actually been putting him in the crook of my arm so his head is a little higher and I can sleep more on my back then my side. It still gets uncomfortable at times but maybe it is a little different position to try. My son has reflux and is on zantac and it has helped quite a bit - does he have any other symptoms? You should definitely look into that possibliity. Anyway keep trying to get him to sleep other ways - I think things change quickly as they get older. My husband was able to rock him to sleep last night and then lay down with him for a couple hours!! I got a few hours of sleep in a comfortable position. We are just going to keep trying. He rarely takes a pacifier either even though I have tried since he was born - so I don't think the window of opportunity thing is always true. Try different bottles and or nipples too - we use the breastflow bottles which mimic the breast - they are only available at babies r us - but when we used other bottles he would drain them immediately and didn't get his beloved comfort sucking in. Anyway hang in there - keep trying different things - I know it will get easier as they get older - you are not alone!!! Also - my son "insists" I lay down with him for his naps too and he will usually take longer naps this way - 2 to 3 hours - if you can find a comfy position then this is a good way to catch up on sleep although I am going to start trying other things b/c I can't get anything done!
    Again - hang in there!

Can you say some more about your daughter's diarrhea? When did this start? Does it look basically like someone poured apple juice into her diaper, with perhaps just some "flecks" of more solid matter?

I'm thinking if she truly is having diarrhea, there is probably a tummy bug or a food allergy of some sort going on ... which could explain the nighttime fussiness and constant desire to nurse as well (since nursing is such a powerful soothing/calming activity).

Thank you everyone for the replies!

Her poop is more or less as you described. Very watery, like a pool of dark yellow/slightly greenish with mustard seed-like flecks, and a very strong foul odour. She also poops at least 3 large poops a day, usually more. I don't think she is dehydrated though because she has lots of wet diapers and seems generally happy.

Maybe because she has hit three months she just wants/needs less sleep? But she just won't go down every night. She is awake from about 6pm until 4am with only 5 minute naps! I'm worried she is overtired but she just won't stay asleep.

Have to go because she woke up!

yellow, green with curd doesn't sound like bad poop to me; even if its watery. Possible food allergy, go to the allergy forum and check it out.

Thank you for the replies! I wanted to let you all know that we seem to have found the source of the diarrhea. My sister mentioned that too much juice can give a toddler diarrhea, and my Mum seconded this by saying that it's too much vitamin C. Anyway, I am a BIG juice drinker so I cut it out and within a couple days my daughter is not having diarrhea anymore.

She still won't sleep until 4am, though, and needs to constantly breastfeed through the night, but at least the worry of her diarrhea is gone.