Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: multiple ?? (eating/drinking/sore nips)

Default multiple ?? (eating/drinking/sore nips)

DH's birthday is Saturday. I haven't had a drink in 10 mos...would a glass of wine or 2 be OK? Should I pump/dump, and if so, after how long?

I've also had a yearning for buffalo wings and mussels - I've read you can eat anything, but what if DD has a reaction? I wouldn't know right away, since I pump and store - and she may not get that particular EBM for a few days (or weeks if it goes to the freezer).

Also, when pumping today, my actual nipples don't hurt - it's more behind them (in fact, they started hurting before I pumped and not all over the breast like usual).

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Leslie

Default Re: multiple ?? (eating/drinking/sore nips)

Leslie,
    There'd be no specific reason why you cannot eat buffalo wings or mussels. Most nursing mom's can eat anything without any affects in baby whatsoever. So, if you feel like having buffalo wings or mussels then by all means, have some. I gather that you are exclusively pumping for your baby, right? If so, and you are concerned, give her the milk right away. It's good for 8 days in the refrigerator.

Alcohol is a drug that is considered compatible with breastfeeding. I think that if you look at a dozen different "expert" opinions on it, you'll probably get a dozen different opinions, lol. It's listed as a LRC L3 (moderately safe). Dr. Hale says, "Significant amounts of alcohol are secreted into breastmilk although it is not considered harmful to the infant if the amount and duration are limited. The absolute amount of alcohol transferred into milk is generally low....Adult metabolism of alcohol is approximately 1 oz in 3 hours, so mothers who ingest alcohol in moderate amounts can generally return to breastfeeding as soon as they feel neurologically normal."

And Dr. Jack Newman says, "Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all. As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breastfeeding as she normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers."

1 or 2 beers is probably considered modest to moderate, depending on how you feel. That said, again I'm assuming that you are an exclusively pumping mom -- any alcohol in your milk will dissipate over time, just as it does in your bloodstream. It does not accumulate in your milk so there is no need to pump and dump.

Regarding the pumping and breast pain -- I'm wondering if you may be feeling some discomfort due to the pump itself? Maybe you can tell us more about this.

Enjoy your husband's birthday!

Yes, bf your baby then have a drink or two. The alcohol will be out of your blood/milk in 1-2 hours, so no need to pump and dump.

Mussels are a shelfish? If so, it may be a good idea to avoid them if you or the baby's father have any sort of family history of any kind of alergies. Buffalo wings should be totally fine!

Not sure what is going on with the nipples. What kind of pump are you using? How often do you pump?

Default also worried about supply now

Thanks for the responses.

From pure exhaustion, DD's reaction, and a death in the family this past week - she's been getting more EBM than Bf . I've been using the breast shields for BF (DD is 50/50 with it), and is totally insane if I don't use at all.

I'm using Medela PIS every 3-4 hours from 6am to midnight. Between 2 more feedings and at least 4 more diapers from midnight - 6am, I just can't pump overnight since I'm only getting a total of 3 hrs of sleep. I had been getting 8oz every pump, but now only 5-6 oz (when I was vomiting Sun-Mon, it did stretch to almost 12 hrs since I just couldn't get out of the bathroom).

I'm wondering if the nipple pain is from alternating between the standard 24mm phalanges (?) that leak and the 27mm that pull my nipple out much farther.

Thanks for any input.

Leslie

So sorry that you are having a rough time. The pain could be from those flanges, I know that I have certain ones that really make me sore?

Default Re: also worried about supply now

I think it probably is from those flanges.

I'm sorry that you've had a rough go of things these past few days (weeks??) and hopefully things are turning around for you now.

Is your baby pooping during the night?

Default is my baby pooping? - that'd be a big YES!!!!

She averages 8-11 wets & 6-9 soiled (and yes, regularly between 1-4am).

Is this indicative of something?

DD is 3wk 3d, and I assume in the 3wk growth spurt the last 6 days - as her daily intake went from (average) 400cc to 550cc, she doesn't seem like she can get enough.

Thanks,
    Leslie

Default Re: is my baby pooping? - that'd be a big YES!!!!

Leslie,
    I was just wondering because many new mom's will change a baby's diaper in the middle of the night if it's wet and there's really no need for that.

Keep in mind that if you are giving your baby breastmilk in a bottle that she may eat more than she would if she were nursing directly. Sucking/swallowing is a reflex -- a suck triggers a swallow which triggers a suck which triggers a swallow, and so on and so forth. Keep working on getting her to nurse directly (it's much less work for you!) -- you two will get it figured out!