Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplements

Default Supplements

Is there any reason that my 3 week old baby would need an Iron and Polyvisol supplements? My doctor said that it would be a good idea. He is fully breastfed. Things seem to be going very well except his weight was a little below birth weight at almost 3 weeks. But he did grow 1.5 inches. I am just really confused and would love some advice.

His output and latch are perfect. I am confused

Default Re: Supplements

I don't think you need to even think about iron supplements until after 6months and the other one is about Vitamin D right? If so 15mins of exposure to sun a day , even through a window works. I'm glad things are going well for you! Doctors advice is just that-advice!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I don't think you need to even think about iron supplements until after 6months and the other one is about Vitamin D right? If so 15mins of exposure to sun a day , even through a window works. I'm glad things are going well for you! Doctors advice is just that-advice!
    Thanks so much. Now the 15 minutes of sun, is that actual sun or just being outside? We haven't seen too much actual sun here lately.

You know We just had a huge conversation about this, let me see if I can bump it for you. But in the mean time, I had my son on Dec.22. 2005 and I obviously didn't take him out until.....March? So I find it odd that your Pedi would even talk to you about it so soon. MY didn't even say anything about making sure he was getting 15mins of sun every day until he was over four months old. Some Pedi's just really don't know the deal w/ breastmilk. I actually called on a LLL leader to help us because what people were getting from their Pedi's was running so contrary to what we're told about Breastmilk. There's a lot of speculation but at the very end Jolie actually went and got literature for use to read. Hold tight, I'll go try to find it for you right now!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks again

We are military living in Germany and pretty much stuck with this ped. I have no idea how bf friendly he is as it was the first time I saw him. I do know that 90% of the people on base here seem to formula feed. It seems like it anyways.

OK. I just bumped it up for you. It's in infant breastfeeding questions and it's called Poly-v-sol? And the info from a LLL leader start on page four and runs through page 5. (In case you didn't want to read through 6pages of moms an their personal experiences and what all our different doctors say.... I hope this helpful. I must tell you, when in doubt when it comes to Breastfeeding info, I always go with the leaders here over anyones Pedi. Soooo many pediatricians are misinformed about breastmilk and it's properties. In all their schooling, they only get about 8hours of education about it and it's optional! The LLL Leaders IMHO simply know more about the science of Breastmilk. I hope what you find here helps you to follow your instinct and a Mother, you are doing what's best!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    OK. I just bumped it up for you. It's in infant breastfeeding questions and it's called Poly-v-sol? And the info from a LLL leader start on page four and runs through page 5. (In case you didn't want to read through 6pages of moms an their personal experiences and what all our different doctors say.... I hope this helpful. I must tell you, when in doubt when it comes to Breastfeeding info, I always go with the leaders here over anyones Pedi. Soooo many pediatricians are misinformed about breastmilk and it's properties. In all their schooling, they only get about 8hours of education about it and it's optional! The LLL Leaders IMHO simply know more about the science of Breastmilk. I hope what you find here helps you to follow your instinct and a Mother, you are doing what's best!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you I think I will be coming here for ANY question I might have about breastfeeding.