Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 16-day-old baby having fever!!!! HELP!!!

Default 16-day-old baby having fever!!!! HELP!!!

My baby is having slight fever. Yesterday the doctor checked baby's urine under the microscope and said the urine looked clear so she wont start baby on antibiotics, but sending the urine for culture, just to make sure(results back in 3 days time). Meanwhile, I'm worried about it and hope someone can shed some light on this. Baby's on breastmilk exclusively since birth.

On friday night, baby was very sleepy and wasnt very interested in nursing. However, saturday onwards, he's making up for it by nursing very regularly (almost hourly!) and was and still is awake alot. He cries alot when he nurses - unlatching and re-latching over and over again (varies .. sometimes he feeds right on without any fuss). This started a few days back. Apart from that, he's passing poo and urine like usual i.e. almost with every feeding.

A short history: We're both having thrush (doc said that's not the cause of the fever) and I'm having very bad nipples trauma (both are cracked terribly -- chunk of flesh seems missing). I've since improved on the latch, but the initial latch-on is very painful due to the thrush. Nonetheless, I've been direct-breastfeeding baby since birth.

Oh yeah, he started spitting-up alot too -- wonder if it's because of the increase of crying while nursing (all the unlatching and relatching). Sometimes after his nap, he would spit up some curdled milk from the previous feeding. Is this normal?

Thanks for your support and help!

Default Re: 16-day-old baby having fever!!!! HELP!!!

Wow! Sounds like there's a lot going on with you and your little one! Hugs go out to you!

Fever....how high is the fever? Over 100.4 is a concern not to be ignored.

As far as nursing frequency, your baby may very well be in his first growth spurt, and that may be why he's nursing so much right now. The good news is that this condition is temporary, and lasts only a few days (usually).

I don't have any experience with thrush, but it sounds like your doctor is helping with that situation.

I hope things get easier for you. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and things should get easier very soon.

Lisa

Just a thought about the temp....this may sound dumb, but how hot are you keeping the house? And how many layers is baby wearing? I know that baby's can overheat easily, and a good rule of thimb is that they only require one more layer then you are wearing to be comfortable. My doc says that if the babe is running a temp. to remove one layer and then take another temp after 15 minutes.
    As far as the frequent feeds go, as pp said, it could be a growth spurt. At 16 days, you two are still working on building your supply, so nurse on demand...and he may demand a LOT! I'm so sorry you are dealing with thrush...we did too and it almost ended our bfing. It can be really hard to get rid of so be as vigilent as possible about treating it.
    Also, the spitting up is normal and seems to be something we all have to live with. Keep up the good work, and I hope you find out what is causing the fever

I totally know what you are going through. When my baby was 17 days old he had a slight fever and all of a sudden became very sleepy and not interested in bf. I also got worried. He ended up having a unrinary tract infection so it is nice to see that your doctor is on the right tract.
    My baby ended up being admitted to hospital because he had a urinary tract infection and needed antibiotics. I pumped every three hours regardless of what was going on so that my milk supply would not go down. i had to supplement him with bottles for the first couple of days due to the fact that he was so tired and breastfeeding was a lot of work for him. it took a couple of days and then we started on the breast again. i would breast feed him first then supplement and in a weeks time i was completely breast feeding again and back on schedule.
    I also at that time had thrush too but was unaware of it. I thought that painful breast, sore, cracked, bleeding nipples were all apart of being new at breastfeeding.
    Things that helped me for thrush are grapefruit seed extract, gentin voilet, an antifungal that the laction consultant recommended and most importantly jack newmans all purpose nipple cream. it helped so much to heal my nipples.
    Check out Jack newmans website on thrush it gives you steps on what do for thrush and it works. i had thrush for approx 3-4 weeks until it was totally gone.
    I hope this helps.

thank you all for your replies. it's comforting to know mothers who share similar experiences. thanks for the advices. And thank you very much for your encouragement and support. I started bfg with the thoughts that it'll be very simple since it's the most natural thing in the world -- that it's a miracle and a gift from God - the way we're made to feed our babies. Anyway, I'm striving to look on the positive side of bfg - It's amazing that I'm able to direct-breastfeed now (inverted nipples 'corrected' with Avent Nipplete during pregnancy) when I couldn't at all with my firstborn.

3 weeks has passed... time sure crawls by during the 1st month! Pray that everything will get better as time goes by.

Thanks again for everything!