Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice to start saving milk

Question Need advice to start saving milk

I am heading back to work in Feb. and I have to start storing my milk for my work hours. Does anyone have any advice to how to get a good pumping system to pump enough for a 5 hour work day?

What advice can anyone give me to get my LO to sleep through the night?
    My LO will be 2 months old when I have to return to work. Our mothers will be the caretakers, but I really don't want to introduce formula. I wanted to do strickly BM until 6 months (hoping longer).

Sorry for so many questions....

Will my body know, as my LO grows that I need more supply?

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: Need advice to start saving milk

I recommend the Ameda Purely Yours. It's half the price of a PIS and they go and go and go!

Way too lazy for formula

Has anyone mentioned scalding your milk before you store it? It keeps the milk from breaking down and spoiling in your freezer... Someone else will have exact details...

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Has anyone mentioned scalding your milk before you store it? It keeps the milk from breaking down and spoiling in your freezer... Someone else will have exact details...
    You only need to do that if you have excess lipases.....

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    You only need to do that if you have excess lipases.....
    I stand corrected. Perhaps you ought to check one of your frozens to see how it tastes and smells. Watch for a soapy taste. I was disappointed when I saw that I had lots of bad milk carefully stored away

Check out the web site here. There are lots of ideas to make your return to work easier.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html

and pumping

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBpumping.html

many moms pump the milk they need for the next day, and don't use frozen very much.
    5 hours isn't realy too long. Some older babies are very smart and will eat very little while away from mom. And then make up for it when you get back from work. Be prepared to sit as soon as you get home your baby is going to want to reconnect with you after being gone all day.
    Don't be afraid to call you local lll Leader shes around to help.
    She might even be able to connect you with another working mom with a baby a little bit older, theres nothing like a like minded friend to help you along when you return to work.

As for sleeping through the night, there is no trick for that, unfortunately. Babies sleep through the night when they're ready. My twins did that at 5-6 months of age, and my youngest was over a year old. It does get easier to handle those nighttime feedings, though, as they get older. They tend to fall asleep much easier after feeds once they reach about 2 months of age.

Lisa