Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dirty Diapers

Default Dirty Diapers

My DD is 6 months old. I tried starting her on single grain rice cereal but it made her constipated so I stopped the rice until she was having BMs again. Now I have been giving her 1 tbs oatmeal with 1.5 tbs ebm. Her dcp says she takes it fine but her BMs are now very far apart (6 or 7 days) and even though they aren't hard, they are very thick, kinda like play-dough. She shows all the signs of being ready for cereal trials but her lack of dirty diapers and their consistancy when she does go concerns me. I have started adding 1 oz of water to her ebm bottles to try to help get her bowels moving again (and to help fill her bottles) but haven't seen any changes yet. Is this normal?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: Dirty Diapers

Cereal can be very constipating. Why not try her on a fruit or veggie instead (or as well)? Pears, peaches, banana, sweet potato, and avacado are all healthy choices.

Since your milk is mostly water, I don't think she needs the extra water at this point.

All baby cereals have fortified iron in them. And iron makes you super constipated. If your dd is bf she's getting plenty of iron from you. I started my ds on bananas and sweet potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandypr
    If your dd is bf she's getting plenty of iron from you.
    She is anemic and it was her pedi who wanted me to start her on cereals (I had wanted to wait until almost a year) for the extra iron since she won't take poly-vi-sol iron drops (she spits them out)
    Last edited by amandalynn; March 10th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Both my girls got constipated when adding cereal.

Try just a tad bit of juice with it once you know the cereal is ok with them and not allergic. It helped keep things going.

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    She is anemic and it was her pedi who wanted me to start her on cereals (I had wanted to wait until almost a year) for the extra iron since she won't take poly-vi-sol iron drops (she spits them out)
    Meat (if you're not a vegetarian) is a more natural and less constipating source of iron. The iron from meat would also be easier for her to absorb, so she'd have to eat less of it to get the same amount of iron.