Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cows milk??

Default Cows milk??

Ok I have a question for you all. My DD is almost 8 months old. She is eating solids very very well. She still bf's about 4 times a day. But at like supper for instance I would like to give her something in her sippy cup besides juice and water. Is it ok to give Cows milk that is free of those hormones of course...or how about soy milk? Or organic milk?? ANYONE?? I've tried pumping but I get like nothing out as I am bf'ing her all the time. I feel as though she is always hungry, and that she is not getting enough at some feedings...especially supper and breakfast.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cows milk??

Hi! As far as dairy, Dr. Sears (see http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp) recommends starting yogurt at 9 months and whole milk at 12-18 months.

If you feel strongly about offering something besides water or watered down juice here is some great information on goat's milk http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032400.asp
    and soy http://askdrsears.com/html/4/t044700.asp.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Wink Re: Cows milk??

My ped, told us to start introducing cows milk at 11 months.
    I asked her if we could start earlier and she said no. We did do the yogurt thing around 9 months.
    I don't know, if she is happy with the juice and water, I would keep doing that. I don't think juice and water are that important yet, I think the idea that the babies get used to using a sippy cup is the idea.
    Before yoi knw it your little one will be on cows milk and then she will be a year old, right before your eyes.

What is the reason for wanting her to drink something "other than water or juice" w/ meals?

Way too lazy for formula

I guess I just didn't know if water/juice was good enough...but I guess she is still getting breastmilk so she is getting plenty of fluids...its more that I am trying to get her used to the sippy I guess. I was pretty sure you were suppose to wait until 1 years for cows milk but just wasn't sure. My MIL is always telling me that she gave her kids cows milk by 6 months I always say that I've read you should wait because of allergies. I myself am not a big milk drinker so its no bother to me. I just thought if I was going to wean her off the supper feeding per say, wouldn't she need something to drink other than water or juice??

Is your plan to have her completely weaned by a year? Because I have to tell you I am DELIGHTED that my one year old drinks water w/dinner! I hope it's a habit he takes into his life w/him. Also, it makes more sense to me now that we don't drink as much milk....cuz it's like a meal! No?
    That said, I am not in a huge hurry to completely wean for the reasons you mention. I have a GREAT eater but....the idea that I now have actually make sure he's getting completely rounded meals w/serving from all 4 food groups terrifies me! I'm hoping to "fill in the blanks"/ breast milk Which I suppose is what our parents did to us as children w/ Cow's milk....I'd rather do it w/ my milk I think?? I am not opposed to some cow's milk...for cereal and with cookies and stuff....but as a "supplement" to meals....that sounds like it could get heavy later.....

Way too lazy for formula

I don't want to give her cow's milk, I just didn't know if I was missing something or what. My SIL said she gave her son Rice milk..anyone done that? I guess I don't really have a "plan" on when to wean my DD. I am just trying to let it go naturally...my Mother told me thats how it happened for her. The more we ate "real" foods the less we nursed and eventually we just didn't have to nurse anymore. I agree w/ the whole water thing too. I myself do not drink milk, unless its w/ cereal. But I drink water for most all my meals as well. So that is a good habit I believe, to get into. I feel as though she's not getting enough food, as she just seems contastly hungry. So i feel maybe I'm not making enough milk? I just don't want to do the "wrong" thing. Being a first-time Mom, I feel like I want to do everything right. Even though there probably isn't a right or wrong way

Just a quick Q...I'm wondering if you're planning on starting to cut out breastfeedings now, at 8 mos.? You mentioned weaning her off her supper feeding, that's why I ask.

I would think, though I'm not an expert, that if you cut out a breastfeeding session, that your baby would need a replacement for that session, like EBM or formula. The AAP recommends breastfeeding for 12 mos., and I think they also recommend that if you do wean earlier than 12 mos., that your baby needs formula to make up the difference. Its pretty important to still nurse first before solids for the first year too.

However, if you are nursing first before solids, and your baby starts to naturally space her feedings out a bit longer between them on her own, the older she gets, that would be different. In that case, I'd just try to make sure that I was offering the breast before all meals of solids, and make sure I was giving her all the solids she wanted at each meal as long as she nursed first or at least within a reasonable amount of time beforehand. That way, you wouldn't need to be worried about adding another beverage, and you'd be letting your dd lead the way as far as weaning goes.

I also think water is a GREAT beverage. In fact, other than BM, that's all my 9.5 mos. old has ever had, and he now loves it! Our ped. thinks its great, and we never had problems with our oldest son always throwing a fit becuase he wanted "juice" instead of water when we took the same stance with him. In fact, when my DH's cousin and her son came to visit us when her LO was like 2, she was a little shocked that we don't keep a stock of "juice" in the house(the boys are only 5 mos. apart). She asked if she could have some "juice" for her son, and I had to tell her we only had water, whole milk, or frozen OJ concentrate in the freezer. (We don't let our boys have pop, although we don't really lead by example with that, but I don't think she would've filled up her kid's sippy with Coke anyway, LOL) After our oldest was like a year or so, we started letting him have oj with his breakfast if he wanted, but by that time, he had come to love water, so that's his drink of choice, and he takes all juices as just another choice, but NOT something he even drinks everyday.

I guess I have already given her solids before I nurse, so don't know if I can go and change that now? My milk supply is probably lower now? I do have a morning feeding w/ just BM, and than breakfast i feed her fruit w/ cereal and than nurse her afterwards, lunch I nurse her first and than give her solids until she seems full and supper i feed her solids first and than nurse her. I am not trying to necessarily wean her, and I know they say to BM for the first 12 months, which I plan on doing. Most of the poeple I talk to though, by 12 months they are probably only down to about 2 feedings....morning and night. I guess I probably screwed up already on what Im doing as far as the feeding. I get so confused because someone tells me one thing and than I hear the total opposite. I somehow feel like I"m drying up. I don't get the "full" feeling in my breats anymore, or is this normal? I am always parnoid that I"m not making enough milk for her....especially now. Is there anything you can do to up your milk production? Also, if I have to leave her at night, I never have BM on hand as I'm always feeding her so when I do try and pump in between i get maybe 1 oz. We are going on a cruise at the end of June, (she will be 1 year May 17) and my MOm is going to be watching her, so I'm already scared on what to do about BM. Like how will I have enough for her for a week??? All this is just so confusing sometimes! ha.
    In the beginning I had a very very rough time, nobody can believe of all the problems I had I sitll stuck w/ BFing, so with all that hard work I did, I surely don't want to wean her by 8 months! And of course the fact that is the healthiest thing for her and myself. SO MANY ?'S!!!

Please don't feel like you've screwed up. It's pretty common to be told to feed your baby solids first before BM or formula, because that's what doc.s used to recommend. My own Mom didn't quite believe that you should nurse first before solids when I told her what I'd found out, but when I explained about the nutritional content of breastmilk being much greater than any individual solid food, and the fact that until a baby's a year old, they're mainly just practicing learning to eat, so their diet isn't exactly balanced and complete, she understood why you'd need to try to make sure baby took in more breastmilk than solids until they were a bit older.

With us, I don't always nurse immediately before solids, but I do try to nurse within an hour or so of solids (My LO goes about every 2.5 or 3 or 4 hours now between sessions) . If you switch, and always nurse first, and let baby eat as many solids as she wants afterwards for her meals, she'll probably start taking in a bit more breastmilk anyway, which will increase your supply due to supply and demand. The best way to increase your supply is to nurse more often.

It's normal for your breasts to not feel "full" anymore, after all, you're a pro now, and so is your baby. Since it all works through supply and demand, your body only makes what your baby is drinking...so you shouldn't feel engorged or overfull anymore unless your baby goes longer at night than normal, or longer than normal between feedings etc. As long as your baby is happy, and having plenty of wet diapers and has no signs of dehydration, is growing well and gaining weight according to her own growth curve and meeting all her developmental milestones, then I'm sure you aren't having low supply issues. You would notice if your baby was wanting to nurse and nurse and never seemed to get enough...it doesn't sound like that's happening, so I'm sure everything is just great.

As far as your cruise goes, your baby will be much older by then, and will no doubt need less breastmilk than she does now per day as she will be a pro at solids too. You also have 5 months to pump and get some extra breastmilk stored away. I forget off hand how many months frozen EBM can stay good in a freezer, but maybe someone can chime in with the numbers. Even if you pumped once or twice a week, you'd start to increase your supply a bit and you could freeze whatever you got, even if it was just a little bit. Over the course of so many months, I'm sure your supply will increase and you'll have plenty stored away for your trip. You could actually pump a couple of hours after your LO went to sleep at night, and probably have plenty stored away in no time without even pumping every day.

The most important thing you can do right now, is relax and enjoy breastfeeding. As long as your baby is happy and healthy, its all good! You haven't screwed anything up, and everything's going to be just fine.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; January 10th, 2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: mis-typed