Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night feeding...weaning

Default Night feeding...weaning

My little one is almost year and has weaned herself except for the night time feeding. Which I know is my fault because that's how I taught her to get to sleep, by nursing. Though she doesn't nurse her self to sleep when she naps anymore.

So I am wondering what to do. I do only feed her on one side becuase my hubby does give her a bottle and its more for comfort and she will wake up during the night and I give in. She's not hungry she just can't get herself back to sleep.

Default Re: Night feeding...weaning

The only thing that worked for us was to listen to a little crying. When I night weaned my DS, he was about 12-13 months old. My husband camped out in the basement (he doesn't deal well with sleep loss), and I took over. I would go in my son's room, pick him up, soothe him, then put him back in his crib, talk to him, sing to him, rub his belly, whatever. Then I'd let him fuss a little without me there. I'd go back in, repeat the process.

I admit that it's along the lines of CIO. This may not fit with your parenting style--I'm not sure.

Lisa

It all depends on whether you are not happy with the status quo. You don't have to wean your LO off that night feeding unless you want to. Children should eventually "learn" to self-soothe or fall asleep on their own, but from what I've read this is supposed to occur gradually within the first 3-5 years, so the conventional wisdom of "sleep train at a younger age or face lifelong sleep problems" is not true.
    Anyway, if you want to night wean regardless, you can also try Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning plan, which does not involve leaving baby alone to cry and is more gradual. It might help to have someone else like your DH do the soothing so that your LO does not expect the breast.
    Expect it to take time, and if it's not working, maybe take a break and give it a little more time.
    HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Hi. Do you want to wean?
    I just read Molly's reply and I was going to kind of say the same thing.

You don't have to wean. I would love if my 25 month old only woke up once during the night, so your situation does not seem too bad to me.
    This is probably just her way of gradual weaning.

I would try Jay Gordon or the Pantley method. I have failed at both but I probably could have tried harder.

I guess at first I thought, okay I want her to be done BF at a year old.
    She does only feed on one side and she is going through teething stuff.
    Maybe since she is only going to be a year in a week and a half I will relax and she if she will wean. Abigail had a really hard time today, her two front teeth semi popped through, still more breaking through going on. Usually she would like to BF all day but she didn't ask for it all day, she did get excited to see the bottle.

YA, I will try out those authors!!
    thank you.

I am sorry for if I replied twice. I signed on to ask a similar question. I have a 13 month old son who wakes up every 2 hours to nurse. He only nurses at night and only falls asleep at night while nursing. I need to wean him asap, but when I try to get him asleep without nursing he cries and screams...for up to 3 hours (with me in there soothing him). I have tried Dr. Jay Gordon and Pantley's method, but no success. I am hoping someone will read this who has figured this out...I am desperate, but can't stand the crying. Looking for a trick or at least an encouraging word. Thanks!

my dd is 17 months and will only fall asleep for naps and at nights while nursing. at nights she wakes up every 2 to 3 hours or so and start nursing to go back to sleeo. we cosleep but still I never get a good night sleep. I'm luckey if I can get more than 3 hours of good sleep. My mom takes her at around 8 am and i snooze for 45 minutes while they play before breakfast and that helps me get thru the day
    during the day while she is playing or running wild around the house she often will make a mad dash to me and pulls my top requesting to be nursed and while we're out she'll do it too which I always comply to her request. she'll nurse for about 5 minutes and will go back to playing and ....
    I thought she'll self wean and I know I'll miss this after she grows out of this phase so I never say no to her.
    Is this accessive? My mom sometimes suggests I should try weaning her so I can sleep better but I don't see how I would deal with it. I know she'll cry endlessly untill I give in and nurse her back to sleep.

i feel like i am living your post...i would never refuse to my ds either...we moved right before christmas, and since then, ds has started "co-sleeping" with our oldest ds...for around 2-3 hours at most, then i either end up bringing him into our bed or we remain (latched on, of course) in my oldests bed. i know the move and the new environment and new walking and everything has a part in the increased nighttime nursing, and while alert and awake during the day, i have no problem thinking that rationally, but in the middle of the night when i am sleep deprived, i wanna scream...go to sleep, please-get off my boob!!! ps, i would NEVER scream or be angry, mean violent in any way...so, how do you get baby into their own bed/wean nightime nursing? imho, you can try every method/book out there, but, until they are ready, i think we have to learn to adjust to their needs/wants. unless you do like my sil and put baby and bottle in crib, turn around, close the door and leave...i think i want my baby to know mama and dada will always be there, not that i will leave them and close the door when they need comfort. my oldest just recently stopped getting into our bed, and he is 6!!! (not still nursing, just sleeping with us.) i truely beleive there are so many factors that play into our los ever changing behaviors. new teeth, new places, new faces...we are getting ready for my dh to return to work, so now both dss will go to daycare, i am not looking forward to what that will bring...good luck, and keep posting any tips for our nighttime survival

I just want to add that w/ my one year old....a lot of it is still TEETHING. So don't forget that when you talk about the "comfort nursing" and how they don't need it. We actually had been experimenting this week w/ me sleeping in another room because the night nursing was almost non-stop...I figured he must just be doing this cuz he can smell me! WRONG! While he did eat less while I wasn't there...yesterday a MOLAR which had been poking thru for weeks..came all the way thru..it's SO BIG and had to break his skin in SOOO many places! And last night, he slept for 6hours straight w/me right next to him! So remember comfort nursing can be for so many things including pain. I want him to eat less at night and NEED him to sometimes. But not anymore than he NEEDS to nurse when he's dealing w/teeth or walking or a new care situation. Just because they are doing it for comfort vs hunger doesn't mean they NEED it any less! (IMO)

Way too lazy for formula

I know this is a BF web site and I did BF for 10 months and gave formula around 10 1/2 months. I noticed my baby is sleeping better, plus she was taking three 30 minute naps a day. I know that's not much but I believed she was sleeping too much during the day. Well after going down to two naps she is only waking up twice, sometimes once a night. Eventually we will get down to one but I do belive she does still need two naps.

YA about the before bed weaning..I have been trying to cuddle with our almost one year old before nursing and she just screams, kicks and hits me if I try to turn her towards me. It's crazy. She won't even take a bottle from my husband anymore. he was feeding her right before I got up there so she would only bf on one side but she was starting to fall asleep with my DH and its like she thought, no I can only fall asleep on mommy.
    I know this will pass and I do notice my milk supplu is slowly decreasing and I am glad we took this slow because I have never had painful engorgement and plus even my small shirts are too BIG up top. I think up top I am an extra small!!!! What happened to size B I think I can fit into training bras!!!