Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have to wean...and he just won't have it!

Question I have to wean...and he just won't have it!

OK ladies, I've posted an outlandish possible solution (see nursing in public: nursing at school) but I don't think it would work for me. I am a student, and I am returning back to school on Jan 22. My son is 3 months old now, and I really need to get him to take a bottle. The problem is, is that he absolutely refuses. The kid knows whats best, and so do I. It breaks my heart to know that he is not ready for a bottle. I really need to get back to school, I only have a few semesters left, and right now is the opportune time for me to get back. My mother told me to basically starve him in to it, and that just seems crazy to me. so if any one has had or has been in my place I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Default Re: I have to wean...and he just won't have it!

Is there any way to work your schedule so you can pump or see him during breaks? The longest class I've ever had is 3.5 hours. If you pumped/nursed before and after, it might just work out.

As far as him not taking a bottle, keep trying different types.

I think it will be easier for someone else to give him the bottle. He associates nursing with you...and why should he take a bottle from you when you've got what he REALLY wants? Maybe you can nurse him when you are home with him...and pump for his bottles, which someone else can give him...

I would try different bottles as well Avent worked for us.
    As far as other people giving your son a bottle. My little one took it either way. And actually she kinda prefers me to give her the bottle and I am the only one she will fall asleep to on it.

I'm confused. Are you trying to give him bottles of EBM or formula? There is a middle ground between nursing in class and weaning to formula, that's pumping and feeding bottles of EBM. IMO 3 months is very early to wean unnecessarily.
    I was a FT student up until May 06 and I worked pumping into my class schedule for that entire school year. I actually told my profs what was going on and that I anticipated having to leave class early or arrive late because of my pumping schedule. I was a little nervous/embarrased, but they were ALL super-understanding! As far as a location to pump, if that's an issue, talk to your Dean of Students or check with a campus "family" student organization, if there is one. I used an Avent Isis manual pump a lot, which was great when I couldn't have access to electricity. If you don't have access to a refrigerator, you can buy freezer packs to keep the milk cool. (If the pumping equipment and paraphernalia sounds expensive, just remember that it is NOTHING compared to the cost of 9 months worth of formula).
    Also, IME my DD was virtually never sick, so I never had to miss class to care for a sick baby, or stay up all night caring for a sick baby and sleep through class. I attribute this to BFing and so it made the pumping worth it even in the short term. I FFed my DS after 6 months old and during my first year of law school (while he was on formula), he was sick a lot (ear infections, trips to the ER for croup, not good news).
    On the bottles-keep trying different kinds. We used the Playtex natural latch nipples. There are also alternatives to bottles like oral syringes or even using a little cup (kind of like what you would use for medicine I believe).
    Just wanted to share what worked for me. HTH

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Going to school doesn't mean weaning. I've been gone to school up to 50 hours a week when my older dd was a baby and she wouldn't take a bottle. Turns out though she would take a regular cup with help Is that an option? I pumped several times a day to keep up my supply and pumped every where but the bathroom. School office, teachers offices, car, any where I could get 15 minutes of privacy. This semester there's no way I have time to be sitting in classes on campus so all my classes are online this semester which works out great for me (I did it last semester too). Are online classes an option? There's a big benefit to continuing to nurse, I found babies are happy to snuggle up and nurse while your studying and nursing babies are often quiet happy babies

Quote Originally Posted by caldangel View Post
    I think it will be easier for someone else to give him the bottle. He associates nursing with you...and why should he take a bottle from you when you've got what he REALLY wants? Maybe you can nurse him when you are home with him...and pump for his bottles, which someone else can give him...
    I agree whole heartedly.
    Keep pumping to keep up supply & have someone else feed him with the bottle.
    Why should he take rubber when he knows you have the breasts??

I wish you the best in your endeavor!

Thank you! to every one. This forum is wonderful! I scheduled for classes the other day. I made sure i had at least an hour between each one. My MIL lives about 5 min. from the college, so I'm going to take it slow, and hopefully I wont even have to offer him the bottle! I tried to get into some online courses, but they were all full, oh-well, next semester I guess! But thanks again to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by landons mom View Post
    Thank you! to every one. This forum is wonderful! I scheduled for classes the other day. I made sure i had at least an hour between each one. My MIL lives about 5 min. from the college, so I'm going to take it slow, and hopefully I wont even have to offer him the bottle! I tried to get into some online courses, but they were all full, oh-well, next semester I guess! But thanks again to everyone!

Thats wonderful! Just remember if you really need those online classes you can always crash the class. I've gotten in 99% of the time that way!