Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Store bought baby food questions

Default Store bought baby food questions

Hi Ladies,

I still plan on preparing my own baby food whenever possible, but I have to admit I will definitely be making occasional use of the convenience of jarred food.

Two quick questions about jars of baby food:

1) I keep reading that jars of baby food have added stuff to it, but when I read the ingredients all I see is the fruit/veggie and water... Ie a jar of carrots just reads 'carrots and water'. Am I missing something here? What exactly are the disadvantages of using store bought food?

2) Is it possible to freeze store bought food? For example, once I open a jar, can I scoop it into ice cube trays and freeze for future use?

Thanks everyone!
    Lisa

Default Re: Store bought baby food questions

Well we prefer "fresh" food. ie. food he can feed himself... so I can't be much help on this front.

We've only done bananas and potatoes - so far
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: Store bought baby food questions

1) I keep reading that jars of baby food have added stuff to it, but when I read the ingredients all I see is the fruit/veggie and water... Ie a jar of carrots just reads 'carrots and water'. Am I missing something here? What exactly are the disadvantages of using store bought food?

2) Is it possible to freeze store bought food? For example, once I open a jar, can I scoop it into ice cube trays and freeze for future use?
    This link has a table with calorie contents of jarred food vs. "real" food in 1 oz. increments http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html
    It was posted in this thread here on this forum http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...t+jarred+foods and in other places as well on this forum(that's where I heard about it) You'll notice that almost all brands of jarred food have more calories oz. for oz. than the same amount of real food. It kind of makes you wonder what's up and if there is some reason for the added calories. The other thread in the 2nd link also talks about added sugar in jarred baby food.

Other than that, the disadvantages that I found with my own 2 kids, is that #1 hated it, and it seemed harder for him to adapt to the "real" food as they didn't taste anything alike...so while he may have liked jarred carrots, he might not have liked real ones later on...etc. I've only given #2 "real" foods, and he's done much better and seems a little less picky.

I really don't think jarred foods are evil...it just seems kind of like a waste of money for us since I'm a SAHM and have the time to make sure LO eats a balanced meal of "real" foods throughout the day (LO's 9.5 mos.) It is kind of a pain in the butt sometimes when we go shopping or out somewhere though, as I don't mind if my almost 4 yr. old has the occasional McDonalds cheeseburger and fries, but I don't want the baby to be exposed to that yet....tiny tupperware containers are my friend now.

Re: your #2 Q...yes, store bought jarred food can be re-stored as long as you don't feed baby with baby's spoon directly from the jar. Saliva can break down the food and you shouldn't save food that baby's spoon came in contact with. I'd probably just refrigerate it for a day or 2 though...I'm not sure about freezing it...Maybe you could try it and do a taste test later on to see if it still tastes ok...I don't think there'd be safety issues as long as the food hadn't come in contact with baby's used spoon.