Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Inconsolable crying in previously happy DD

Default Inconsolable crying in previously happy DD

My poor 4 month old daughter has been just so hair trigger for the last week or so... I'm thinking she might have developed an allergy to something I'm eating... I've quit dairy (yesterday) and am still seeing no improvement. She has always been such an easy and happy baby. What do you think this may be about? She's not feverish or snotty or anything. She will be intermittently happy for a couple hours now and then but then just gets so cranked up that I can barely console her.
    Please any advise or ideas as to what this might be about ... I'm so desperate to help my little one...

Default Re: Inconsolable crying in previously happy DD

How awful for you that your daughter is in such distress and how awful for you too!
    Three things come to mind ... teething? Homeopathic teething granules of chammomilla are widely used here.

Second thought, is a mouth ulcer or sore?

Separation anxiety?

I hope she'll be fine in no time.

BethB

I don't have any suggestions for you, sorry. I just wanted to point out that if dairy is the culprit, it takes 2-3 weeks for it to be entirely out of your system so don't expect immediate results. I wish you luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Thank you for your response. She seems kind of young for teething but I have heard that it is not unheard of... I'm a SAHM so seperation anxiety is out of the question... Thanks for your input... What makes you say mouth ulcer???
    Thanks,
    Amanda

shots? They can make a baby cranky for a long time!

Sometimes, a mom looks over the whole baby, but finally notices a sore/ulcer/cold sore inside her baby's mouth! Who would have thought, but I think a baby with a mouth sore might not be feeding too well either.

My babies have sometimes been really inconsolable and a couple of days later, I can pinpoint the problem, but at the time I couldn't. Like a tooth pops up or they start vomiting. I could with hindsight that they were coming down with something.

Does your baby have one or two little bulges/bumps in the gum where the bottom teeth would be coming in? Babies can start teething really early, way before a tooth comes up. Likewise, teeth can arrive earlier in some babies. A friends baby was born with a tooth! I saw it for myself, so I know it really was there.

BethB
    Mom of 2.

Maybe have her ears checked just to be sure? Is she getting over tired? My ds would be VERY fussy if I let him stay up too long with out a nap, our rule of thumb is, awake for about two hours and then back down for a nap. People always comment on how happy he is, and for us that meant consistent naps?!? About the allergies, do you have a family history or eczema or food allergies? Does she have any rashes etc?