Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy?

Default Dairy?

I have been experimenting a bit with dairy products with my 11.5 month old. He's fine with yogurt. I gave him a tiny bit of cheese and he did fine. When I gave him a slice of cheese, it gave him loose stool. I tried again a few days later and got the same result.

If he cannot tolerate cheese, would milk automatically be bad too?

DSD was allergic to milk, but she outgrew it around age 5.

Default Re: Dairy?

Yes, actually milk is worse than mild products because some of the proteins are broken down during "processing". My dh can tolerate cheese but not milk. He gets the worst gas if he drinks milk. Its awful! So if your lo is having a tough time with cheese, I would hold off on milk for now. Dd likes both soy milk and cow's milk, although she doesn't get much of either at this point. And I need to do a little research on soy still, but definitely buy organic cow's milk and products, if at all possible. The hormones they use to stimulate milk production in cow's can not be good for our los!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My oldest did great with milk and all dairy in general, my middle son canhandle cheese, yogurt and things like that but whole milk makes his tummy really upset. Try lactose free milk or even soy milk and see if that's better, Jacob can handle about 1 8oz cup of Organic Whole milk in a day any more than that and he's sick, but that's after almost a year of slowly introducing regular milk back into his diet from lactose free kinds. Just keep an eye on the tummy and don't push whole milk too soon if your LO is showing sensitivity...I'm sure Brittan will be along soon to comment if she sees this post her LO is allergic to dairy and she might have some good advice for you. Good luck

Thanks for the advice ladies!

I don't get how lactose free milk would be better? I thought human milk had much more lactose than cow's milk.

It does (have more lactose) and it won't (be better). The problems with cow's milk versus human milk are casein and whey...proteins in cow's milk that are not found in human milk. Check out this link.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would take it easy with both
    you'll figure it out over time.
    My dd could have a little bit of cows milk or maybe cheese but never both.
    Untill she was about 2. If we were having a meal with real cheese I just didn't give her any cows milk to drink.
    She doesn't drink alot even at 3.. maybe 4 oz every few days.
    And if she has cold cereal for breakfast she doesn't ask for milk later in the day.