Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Exclusively Pumping Questions.....

Default Exclusively Pumping Questions.....

I've read through some...but I have a slightly different situation.

This is my 3rd kid. With my first kid, my milk supply was so thick, NOTHING would come out. My daughter latched properly according to the lactation nurses, but all she would get was blood. So I gave up and gave her the bottle, and mentally, gave up at that point all together.

2nd kid, I was too busy with school and dealing with my first kid to even attempt breast feeding, but I did attempt to pump, and again, came in so thick, the first thing to come out was NOT colostrum, but blood.

Round 3. Everything fell just right. EXCEPT, he didn't want to latch. I began pumping to get him what he needs, and before we left the hospital, he was taking formula and whatever I could pump out.

I finally "let down" a few days later after leaving the hospital and have been steady with 4-5 ounces every 3 hours regularly.

Attempted to relatch many times, and no success. Lots of combinations of why....mentally for me....as well as just too late by then and he just doesn't want to.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I increase my supply? I don't mind pumping to give him the milk, but he is dramatically INCREASING.

Mind you he is almost 3 weeks old and taking down 6-8 ounces the past few days, which has dwindled what little bit I had already been able to set aside.

Quick family history, BOTH his sisters did the same thing. At 2 weeks, they were both taking down 6-8 ounces of formula BUT they were spitting it up, and we were required to add a tad bit of cereal to thicken it (before the AR was available). And that solved their spit up problem, AND got them back down to 4 -6 ounces a feeding.

He just isn't spitting up what he is taking down. Like He woke up at noon. Took down 5 ounces. Was up looking around for a bit. At around 12:50, he was fussing again for food. (was sure it was nothing else...won't take a pacifier). And sure enough, he just took down another 4 ounces. UGH.

I physically cannot keep up. Doc gave me the choice, I can add formula or cereal.........my choice....but cereal was used in the past for spit up issues, something I"m NOT dealing with. he keeps it ALL down. Every last drop.

He gained over a pound and a half from his discharge at the hospital to his 2 week appointment.

So he's growing and growing FAST for a breast fed baby according to the doc.

Ok, I'm a rambler....sorry. LOL

Which leads me to my 2nd question.....Which should I attempt first? I can't just say< SORRY DUDE, ALL OUT, CLOSED for the night! NOr will he wait the extra hour or two before I am able to pump ANYTHING productive.

SHould I just add the cereal or an ounce or two of formula to see if it helps fill him up a bit?

Default Re: Exclusively Pumping Questions.....

Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Winds
    With my first kid, my milk supply was so thick, NOTHING would come out. My daughter latched properly according to the lactation nurses, but all she would get was blood. So I gave up and gave her the bottle, and mentally, gave up at that point all together.

2nd kid, I was too busy with school and dealing with my first kid to even attempt breast feeding, but I did attempt to pump, and again, came in so thick, the first thing to come out was NOT colostrum, but blood.
    It is possible that you were experiencing a phenemonon known as "rusty pipe syndrome". This usually occurs at the onset of lactation, and disapates over time. The cause is thought to be broken cappillaries in the breast.

Round 3. Everything fell just right. EXCEPT, he didn't want to latch. I began pumping to get him what he needs, and before we left the hospital, he was taking formula and whatever I could pump out.

Attempted to relatch many times, and no success. Lots of combinations of why....mentally for me....as well as just too late by then and he just doesn't want to.
    If you wish, it is possible to get your baby back to the breast. Here is a web page you might find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

Here are my questions:

1. How can I increase my supply? I don't mind pumping to give him the milk, but he is dramatically INCREASING.

Mind you he is almost 3 weeks old and taking down 6-8 ounces the past few days, which has dwindled what little bit I had already been able to set aside.
    You mention you are pumping every three hours. Is that throughout the day/night? What type of pump are you using? How many total ounces (average) is your ds eating per 24 hours?

Like He woke up at noon. Took down 5 ounces. Was up looking around for a bit. At around 12:50, he was fussing again for food. (was sure it was nothing else...won't take a pacifier). And sure enough, he just took down another 4 ounces. UGH.
    It could be that he is experiencing a growth spurt. You might consider "cluster pumping" to mimic how he would nurse during a growth spurt. This will help your production increase to meet his demands.

I physically cannot keep up. Doc gave me the choice, I can add formula or cereal.........my choice....but cereal was used in the past for spit up issues, something I"m NOT dealing with. he keeps it ALL down. Every last drop.

He gained over a pound and a half from his discharge at the hospital to his 2 week appointment.

So he's growing and growing FAST for a breast fed baby according to the doc.
    He could be growing at the perfect rate for *him*. Also, if he was weighed on a different scale, the difference in scales could account for the large gain.

Which leads me to my 2nd question.....Which should I attempt first? I can't just say< SORRY DUDE, ALL OUT, CLOSED for the night! NOr will he wait the extra hour or two before I am able to pump ANYTHING productive.

SHould I just add the cereal or an ounce or two of formula to see if it helps fill him up a bit?
    The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend early solids, and also advises that babies should be fed breastmilk exclusively if at all possible. The same thing goes for the LLLI Health Advisory Board and the Association of Family Practitioners.

Could you could work to increase your milk production, and if you fall short, supplement with formula?

3 weeks old seems really young to be eating 6-8 ounces in a feeding. Bf babies don't need as much as formula babies because bm is absorbed better and more effeciently used. See http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html for how much expressed breast milk my baby needs.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

You mention you are pumping every three hours. Is that throughout the day/night? What type of pump are you using? How many total ounces (average) is your ds eating per 24 hours?
    Yes, through the night as well. While he eats, I pump so when I'm done, he's done and we both can go back to sleep.

The past several days, he's eating between 48 and 64 ounces total a day. He took down another 8 ounces just a little while ago.

I know, according to literature, he doesn't "NEED" that much, but that is what he is requesting, and he gets VERY VERY VERY upset, no matter WHAT we do, if he doesn't get what he wants and to the point, it makes him sick if we just let him "deal".

Usually, they don't recommend solids so early, unless certain circumstances.....Husband and I chatted about it, if we have to add anything, we may do the Enfamil AR if we need the thicker stuff. But for now, I think we are going to try adding a few ounces of formula, to see if it helps.

The pump I'm using is the Evenflo something or other....hold up, I'll have to find out what it is.

It works great for me. I get completely drained in 5-7 minutes easy......and usually let it sit for a few more minutes, to try to bring in more.

About the amount your baby is taking in...that is a VERY large amount. Even if he was taking formula only (As an aside, babies require fewer total ounces of breastmilk than totally formula fed babies do of formula). What type of nipple are you using? Could you consider using a slow flow (newborn) version? Maybe he still wants to suck, but is frustrated that the bottle is "done". Another thought, if you wished, you could even put your baby to the breast when he finishes a bottle. He might be more apt to take it then! Not to mention it would satisify his sucking need, as well as help you maintain your level of milk production.
    This link might help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    And another re: exclusive pumping:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b...xcpumping.html

ITA with the suggestion to cluster pump. It's great for mimicking what baby does naturally during a growth spurt.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

I'm glad the Evenflo pump is working for you. For several folks I know, the Evenflo brand pumps have not worked for them...and one lady's nipples were even damaged because of the suction! My only suggestion on that is to watch for a decrease in supply.

Good luck!