Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is enough, enough?

Default Re: When is enough, enough?

Koch11400,
    I can tell by reading your posts that you really want this BF relationship to continue. I'm sorry that you are feeling down about things. You have been doing a marvelous job holding it all together!

I was wondering a couple of things. First, you wrote about dd's drop in percentile for weight. Could you give us her weight checks since birth (starting with birth, including lowest, and any up until now) and also her growth in height?

I understand that your physician was considering FTT as a diagnosis. Do you know what other symptoms dd had that would make them even consider this diagnosis? According to the BAB 3rd Revised Edition, Failure-to-Thrive in a baby older than one month is characterized by:

*weight below 3rd percentile
    *drop in rate of growth of length and head circumference
    *infant falls two standard deviations on the growth chart
    *evidence of malnutrition, dehydration-sunken fontanel, grayish pallor, lethargy, loss of fat layer under skin, strong urine, inadequate stools
    *infant does not meet developmental milestones
    *mother experiences few let-downs
    *erratic of nonexistant weight gain

I would suspect that the formula supplements did not help your supply too much. But, if there was truly a medical need to supplement and you could not do so with EBM, then the formula was important and it is certainly not the end of your BF relationship! (If it helps you feel better, she is older, and since she is eating solids, her gut flora has already been altered, so you can just look at the formula as another solid food she is eating that is not mom's milk! )

About fertility and your period: there is a very wide range of normal for when women experience the return of their periods. So don't feel that you are "out there" for having it return now. That is completely normal. Some moms go longer without a period, some not so long.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/menses.html

No, a body does not just stop making milk for no reason, so don't worry!

I am anxious to read your responses...hang in there!

My DD was showing signs of dehydration with few wet diapers and strong concentarted urine. I only supplement after bf for at least a half hour on each side and only seem to need to once in the evening before bedtime. I use a slow flow nipple and take it out of the mouth often to make sure it is what she really wants and then breast feed some more when she is finished with the 4 oz. She did have enough wets yesterday though!! We went to the doc this morning and she lost another 3 oz. The FTT concern from the doc is due to drops in percentile in wt. only as far as i know. Since her 2 month check she has go from 95th to 55th. I am not that concerned about that diagnoses as much I am about the lack of wet diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by koch11400 View Post
    Sadly I can get more milk using my avent pump than I can with my Medela Maybe there is a secret to pumping I do not know....
    I will say I had a problem too, but I found I didn't have the diaphram cap clicked in all the way. I went from small amounts of milk when pumping to 4-5 oz everytime. Just a suggestion.

Hello and sorry you are having such a trouble.
    Have you checked your thyroid levels? Some women have post-partum thyroiditis and low thyroid levels which definitely affects milk supply. It involves a simple blood test.
    I've had problems in the past with my thyroid and I got those back after I had the baby - however I was on the hyper side and luckily my milk supply was not affected.
    Also I can suggest renting/buying a scale and weight your LO before and after feeding just to see how much she is really taking - I guess just for a peace of mind. I bought a scale a while ago - the Health-o-meter - which is not very expensive - $60 - and I personally consider it a good investment because every visit to my ped is $15 co-pay and I can use it up until my LO is 60 pounds.
    I hope any of these helps. Hugs to you

thanks so much for the tyroid advise I never thought of that! I am prone to tyroid issues and was having much trouble with mine before pregnancy. I have not had mine checked since DD's birth. I will make an appt ASAP!

I hope things are going better for you today. But you are NOT alone, my baby is almost 6mos and I am finding my supply to be not as much as it was too. He has only gained 1 pound since his 4 month check up so I am worried. But as far as your supply in the evenings, it is very normal to be less. A LLL told me after 5 your supply decreases and is the most in the morning. Another consultant told me to pump after every nursing session for 15mins for 48hrs and it should help. As far as 'when is enough, enough'? Well I too am wondering that. My husband said I should be greatful for having been able to nurse this long because some women aren't able to at all. When I think of it that way it does help, but I still am not ready to give up yet. I think alot of it (for me anyway) is I don't want to be 'forced' to stop bfding, I want my baby tp be able to wean himself, not due to my body failing on me. It makes me very sad because I LOVE nursing, the bond is so special, there's nothing in the world like it. Hang in there, it helps to know you're not alone though. I just started this site yesterday and it is amazing to hear everybody's stories. I am going to try to attend a LL meeting Tues evening.

I was just wondering how you were doing today? Any better?