Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is enough, enough?

Default When is enough, enough?

I have been struggling with supply issues for months and I don't understand why. DD is 7 and a half months old and has been a great nurser from the begining. I stay at home with DD and feed on demand which is every two hours day and night. I eat a good diet and drink plenty of fluids. Until recently I have not had to supplement. My milk took forever to come in and due extreme wt loss I was forced to give formula after bf for the first week but then my milk came and we were fine. Things were great until the 4 month check and DD droped from 90th percentile to 75th. Doc said OK she is not too worried yet. I suspected supply was going down as wets were going down (still with in normal limits though) so I tried fenugreek which worked great. At 6 month DD slid to 55 percentile and I was told they are not going to diagnose failure to thrive yet but I need to make sure DD is getting enough. Again I had been watching supply closely and been of and on fenugreek as diapers indicated. Now my DD is not gaining beyond her 18 lbs and I struggle to keep it there as she had lost some weight and I have brought it back though supplement with formula. She is not having wet diapers again she had 3 today so again I give formula but only after at least a half hour on each side of nursing. My DD wakes up all night long to eat ( 7 times in two hours last night) which i only offer the breast until I am so exhausted I gove in and give a bottle. Only then does she sleep well for a couple hours. So far I am lucky My DD would rather have the breast than bottle but I am wearing out. I also have a 4 year old that needs a mommy and my nipples are sore from the marathon nursing sessions I am doing to try and up supply once again. I have no LLL leader or LC in my area to check things out but latch seems fine and DD is happy to be on breast until she can't get enough at end of feedings. Then she tugs and thrashes around breast trying to eek every last drop out (dosnt help the already sore nipples, she has 2 new top teeth ouch!). Oh, and the problem seems to be worse as the evening and night approaches, I seem to make adequate in the mornings/afternoon. Any ideas of what is wrong with me? I am so ready just to quit, the only thing that keeps me trying is the big blue eyes staring back at me and the saddness of losing our special time together.

Default Re: When is enough, enough?

any solid foods?
    Any way that you could be expecting again?

Not likely to be expecting again, way to tired to go there . Annie does some solids, mainly table food already because she does not like the runny prepakaged stuff. She wants to chew. For example yesterday after her morning bf I gave her banana chunks and cherrios then we have a little top off feeding again. For dinner I bf first and then she eats off of my plate maybe a tablespoon or two total then more bf. She does drink small amout of water out of my cup or sippy. I have been having to supplement with formula at night due to lack of wet diapers.

Instead of cheerios try giving her rice puffs, they're better for her plus if she drops a few and you step on them they just squish and don't crumble into a million little pieces, they're also less of a choking hazard as they disolve pretty fast once they're wet. My DD is 8 weeks old and we were exclusive pumpers for 7 of those weeks, then we tried breastfeeding again. Even with an LC's help it just didn't work out, she wasn't sucking effectively at the breast and after a really bad day she just refuses it all together now unless she's so tired she can barely keep her eyes open. If it's getting to be too much for you, and you still want to give her breastmilk try pumping exclusively, then you can see how much she's taking in at each feeding and she's still getting the benifits of breastmilk and not formula. You may still have to partially suppliment for a while to get her weight up BTDT, but it's easy to mix half formula and half breastmilk so that she's not totally on formula. Get a good pump, hospital grade and pump every time she eats, or about every 3 hours untill a good "pumping supply" is established and then you can go down to every 4 hours. It seems like a lot of work at first but so is fighting a losing battle with your breasts too. And she'd still be getting all the benifits of breastmilk. If you want more information on pumping exclusively there is a pumping section on here or you could PM me, I'm learning as I go and there are several Moms on this board who've made it a year or longer EPing. If you're about to give up, it's definitly a better option than just switching to formula all together. I have three kids so even though it IS time consuming it's possible to find a balance.
    You have to do, in the long run, what is best for you and your family as a whole. If that means pumping, then pump...if that means keeping at breastfeeding, then keep at it. But don't make yourself nuts over it all, the baby will pick up on that. Pumping might be a viable option for you as a last resort before formula.

I would love to do that and I have a good pump but unfortuatley I can barely get a half an ounce total when pumping. I have been pumping regularly since DD was 8 weeks. I topped out at 4 oz total at my best but for some reason I cant get anymore out really. I try, although with the frequent feedingings I have not done it for a couple weeks. Sadly I can get more milk using my avent pump than I can with my Medela Maybe there is a secret to pumping I do not know....

OK not to get too personal but i don't know if this means anything....I started my first period today since I became pregnant. I nurse enough times in a day by far that I should not have returned to fertility yet. Even my morning supply sucks today. I tried to pump and got less than a quarter ounce total. Does a body just quit making milk for no reason?

my supply drops right before my period and stays low a couple days. It then goes back up. That may be contributing to some of your problems.

Your daughter is lucky to have you though! She are doing so much for her.

I am having problems with dd biting last night. 1st time she ever did it! And twice again today. I started spotting today. Is that common to have milk supply reduce around your period? I don't get a period though! I have the IUD. I spot here and there only. I am desperately trying to get help. No one has responded to my thread though????
    All alone......

It is common to have a brief reduction with your period. I know nothing about the IUD though.

Quote Originally Posted by grneyez13 View Post
    I am having problems with dd biting last night. 1st time she ever did it! And twice again today. I started spotting today. Is that common to have milk supply reduce around your period? I don't get a period though! I have the IUD. I spot here and there only. I am desperately trying to get help. No one has responded to my thread though????
    All alone......
    Hi there,
    It sounds like you are concerned about spotting with your IUD. That is definitely someting I would suggest discussing with your physician. But yes, many moms do find a slight drop in supply to occur with the start of their period.

I see that you posted above in the Infant forum and I will check in there for responses.