Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not enough hindmilk and no seeds in poop? Should I pump?

Default Not enough hindmilk and no seeds in poop? Should I pump?

Hello,

I think my DS does not get enough hindmilk because there is hardly any seeds in his poop. It has started about a week ago. He still poops everyday, sometimes huge blowout, but it is slippery, liquid without seeds.

Is it because he does not get the hindmilk?

We think DS has a reflux, he is fighting the breast and cries at almost each feedings during the day. He has been on Zantac for 1 month with little improvement.

If it is really that he does not get enough hindmilk, I am afraid he does not get enough protein, etc. Only during the night he does a good feeding, because he is sleepy. I wonder if I should pump my milk, get the hindmilk doing it, and then bottle feed him?

Any experience, information to share?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Not enough hindmilk and no seeds in poop? Should I pump?

First of all, you don't need to pump and feed. If anything needs to be done, it can be done with changing your feeding patterns. Since it doesn't seem like the Zantac is working, here's a link with some other possibilities for you to consider as to what the problem might be. Let us know if one of them resonates (such as OALD) and we can help you more from there. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Here's some more info about what baby poop should look like. Sounds like your lo's is fine. http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

zantac might make babies poop look funny also..
    try breast compressions
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

and block feeding can help. finish the 1st breast 1st.
    Sometimes babies will have problems with food in moms diet.. do you drink alot of cows milk or eat lot of soy?

I go to a weekly bf support group at an LC's office and I showed her my DD's poop because I was concerned that there weren't as many seeds as there used to be and she said the color looked great and there won't always be seeds. I think as long as wet diapers are good and the color of the poop is yellow to yellowish brown, then you're fine (that's what she told me anyway). Also, she said a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance causes the characteristic green poops and explosive gas.
    Sounds like you're fine.
    Amy

Seeds are just undigested milk curds. The absence of seeds is nothing to worry about

Baby poop doesn't always stay seedy forever. Every baby is different. No worries, there.

As long as your baby is gaining, growing, content, meeting milestones, and having plenty of wet and poopy dipes, you can rest assured that he is getting enough of everything.

Can you tell us more about his daytime nursing patterns? Do you feel like you have a lot of milk?