Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions about pumping. . .

Default Questions about pumping. . .

I'm so new to the breastfeeding "business", my daughter is only a bit over 2 weeks and so far I haven't had any problems (my breast feel fine and she latches on). However, sometimes she'll nurse from just one breast, go to sleep for 2 hours and then nurse from the other (usually at night) - is that ok? or should I "force" her both breasts? Also, when do I start pumping? I just want to freeze my milk for the rare occasions, when I won't be available (I'm so looking forward to taking some time for myself) - I just want to make sure I won't make the mistake of "pumping" too soon and too often (I don't want to overstimulate my milk supply). Any suggestions? If she nurses from one breast, should I pump the other? When can I start giving her a bottle?
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; January 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Default Re: Sleeping Through The Night

Congrats on the new LO!

If you aren't painfully engorged, eating on one side should be fine. Pumping the other side would be a great option as well.

I haven't ever heard of anyone having a problem with pumping and "overstimulating" their supply. I would guess this is because pumping doesn't empty your breasts as well as nursing. As I'm sure you're aware, milk goes on a supply and demand system, and if you were to "overstimulate" your supply, whatever that might mean, within a few days it would drop back if you stopped pumping. (Just like you can up your supply with a couple of days of frequent nursing.) Of course, I suppose this could happen if you took to pumping after every feeding or something like that, but I would imagine you are thinking about pumping on occasion rather than regularly.

As far as when to start pumping, you could technically start anytime you want. if you aren't going back to work or something like that that gives you a deadline for having a stash, then I would wait until your baby is 4-6 weeks old. This will allow your body to figure out how much your supply should be (and further avoiding your oversupply concern) and your nursing will probably have settled into some sort of pattern so it will be easier for you to figure out when you want to pump. Then start with one time per day. Some people pump right after their baby eats, or pump the opposite side that baby is eating on, or find a time that just works out for them, and for me, that was first thing in the morning. Don't be stressed if the first few times yield you very little milk, this is normal and within a few tries you will start to get results. Good luck!

PS

Hold off on the bottles for a bit too, until your baby is again, 4-6 weeks old. Nursing at the breast is different from sucking from a bottle, and you want to be sure your baby has learned how to suckle at the breast very well before you introduce your LO to a new technique. Until then, take baby with you if you want to go out. I nursed a lot in dressing rooms, in the car, and I wore my baby in an Over The Shoulder Baby Holder (OTSBH) and nursed him while walking around and covered with his blankie. At that age they don't squirm and he won't look like he's nursing to the outside world but rather that he's taking a snooze. Give it a try, you'll be surprised where you can go with a nursing baby!

With very few exceptions my son has been a one side at a time guy since nearly day one. Just go with the flow!

Default Re: Should I wake up to pump?

We started the bottle at one week old and I've known many moms who breastfeed who do it even sooner. If you are confident that your bf'ing is working and not stressed out - I think you can do it anytime.

My feeling was, since I heard two theories (right away and after six weeks) that if we tried in at one week and were having problems within a day or two - then I would stop and try again at six weeks - and just not stress about it.

My girlie, took the bottle no problem (we used the Dr. Brown's Natural Flow) and the next feeding did the breast again.

After she had tried it, Daddy gave her a bottle once a day...she was on a sippy by around 5-6 months and completely off the bottle at 1 year (sippy when I'm not around) and is still bf-ing at 18 months.

I've heard many times that babies will always revert back to the nipple they knew first (boobie) as their primary - and the longer you wait (six weeks or longer) the more difficult it can be to get them to take a bottle.

I really feel doing it eariler gives them a chance for two "normals".

Cheers!

I have been nursing on one side only since DS was 2 weeks old. I have never pumped (other than three times in those first 2 weeks when I was painfully engorged and LO was sleeping). DS is gaining well, alert and meeting all of his milestones! As a PP said, go with the flow! Your body and your baby knows what's best! If LO needs more milk, he'll want to nurse more and this will stimulate your milk supply to meet his needs.

Default Re: Questions about pumping. . .

Just popping in to say I changed the title of the post. We had a thread where 2 different posters came in and asked questions that needed their own threads. . . somehow I messed up with the split

Sorry for the confusion!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!