Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food groupings?

Default Food groupings?

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knows of a resource out there that groups first foods together. I know you're supposed to start one at a time, however it seems at little odd at times since I have yet to meet a kid that's allergic to peas or greenbeans.

Are there any 'safe' foods you can just give your child without worrying about allergies?

Are allergies the only reason to start one food at a time?

Also, if your kid can eat one type of food, couldn't you try all the same types within that family of foods?

Default Re: Food groupings?

www.askdrsears.com has a great section about starting with solids. One of the main reasons that you need to wait 3-5 days in between starting a new food is that there are documented allergies to lots of different foods....even peas and greenbeans. While you may not ever have to deal with food allergies, going one food at a time is the easiest way to tell for sure, and to be able to immediately tell what the allergenic "culprit" would be.

Also, when baby is just learning to eat solids, its all new to them, and they might be overwhelmed by too many choices. After all, its a totally new taste, texture and color...and temperature, things which we take for granted after eating solids for so many years.

As far as safe foods go, bananas, rice cereal, and applesauce are all fairly benign foods and don't often cause allergies, but there really aren't any guarantees, especially if you have a history of food allergies in your or baby's daddy's family tree...that's why you are supposed to wait in between introducing new ones.

That being said, once you do get a couple of foods that baby can eat without allergic reactions, you can feed any or all of those foods to baby and just include one new one every 3-5 days...it won't be nearly as bland for baby as it would be for us, and after a little while, they have the potential to be eating several different foods at one time...like a couple spoonsful of bananas and applesauce and a bit of cereal if you choose to give rice cereal. The longer you go the more choices there are.

Regarding all foods within a family of foods, I'm wondering specifically what foods you're thinking of? The reason I ask, is that green beans spring to my mind, and I would think that green beans aren't the same thing as say pinto beans or garbanzo beans, and you'd need to wait several days in between all those instead of assuming that all beans are ok becuase green beans were... But, I don't know specifically what one you were thinking of.

heres a link from lll
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

from one off thoose pages
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html
    You don't need to worry too much about what foods you start on what schedule. In fact, you should stay flexible and watch how well your baby accepts new foods. A good schedule allows four to seven days between introductions of each new food. Some parents prefer to start with a bit of mashed banana. Some prefer warm cooked cereal. A few like to begin with mashed bits of sweet potato or avocado.

The process of starting new foods ought to take three to six months. It ought to be one at a time, slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Regarding all foods within a family of foods, I'm wondering specifically what foods you're thinking of? The reason I ask, is that green beans spring to my mind, and I would think that green beans aren't the same thing as say pinto beans or garbanzo beans, and you'd need to wait several days in between all those instead of assuming that all beans are ok becuase green beans were... But, I don't know specifically what one you were thinking of.
    Specifically I was trying to figure out if I could get my 8 month old to eat something other than sweet potatoes, since that's all we've been able to introduce without a serious gag reaction in the last two months.

Does your LO gag because he doesn't seem to like the foods you've offered? or do you think it has to do with him still having his tongue thrust reflex where almost everything gets pushed out of the mouth before baby's ready for solids? I assume its the first one, that he just doesn't like the stuff, so that's what I'll base my answer on.

My oldest son hated the jarred baby food. He tolerated it for a bit, but by 9 mos. wouldn't let another bite pass his lips. There isn't really a need for jarred baby food, so if that's what you're trying with your LO, you could try feeding regular food instead. My youngest DS (now 9.5 mos.) has never tried the jarred food. I waited until 6 mos. to start solids and he pretty much started with a bit of rice cereal, Club Crackers(he grabbed those and ate them without my permission, but he had no allergic reaction to them, so I let him have more) mashed banana, and applesauce(not baby applesauce, but regular pastureized applesauce) He then moved on to dry regular cereals like cheerios, soft cooked carrot rounds(which I mashed until he was 7.5 or 8 mos. and then served a half of a thin round that he wouldn't choke on) soft cooked green beans(in 1 in. pieces or so, I check to make sure the inner "bean" isn't too large too) Sweet potatoes are great. I also do regular oatmeal( I do add a bit of brown sugar...but I try to cook canned blueberries in it instead...I use the oatmeal that cooks for like 5 min....not the quick stuff, so the blueberries break down and aren't choking hazards) and I use water and NOT milk since he's under 12 mos. He also has waffles(check for egg though...although we don't worry about it since we had no history of that allergy) Pancakes skinny strips of toast , mashed potatoes, He now gets soft cooked pasta...like rotini or little macaroni's or thin strips of lasagna noodles and chicken or turkey or ground beef as long as its well cooked and you can seperate the grains out so he doesn't choke. He's also had pinto beans(squashed at first). I cook all veggies to go along with our meal, I just leave out the salt and keep track and butter and make everybody add that on their plates.

Sorry this is so long, I'm just trying to give you a short list of things that may be better received...hope it helps a bit.
    Last edited by Mommie of 2; January 3rd, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added one more thing about the carrots

Actually, she eats the jarred sweet potatoes with no issues. Cereals were met with the gagging what-are-you-trying-to-do-to-me shudder (she spits them out at any consistency), mashed banana had the same result, as did applesauce (both baby and regular), pear sauce, baby food carrots, & butternut squash. To be fair, I did try these things over and over again to the same reaction. I follow the try something 15 times before you give it up rule with the kids.

I'll also note that I'm only using Beechnut and real foods because I have a soy allergy and all the other baby foods contain soy proteins in them.

Complicating this process is that I'm having a right breast issue with psoriasis, so I am only able to feed her from one side right now and she seems to be hungrier lately. I'd really like to get her into some more solids so she isn't constantly looking to me for food.

try table foods and see how that goes.. stuff that she can feed herself.