Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being ok with baby needing less

Default Re: Being ok with baby needing less

i too wonder about cows milk....do they NEED it?? since my lo never took to the bottle we are going to just skip it.....i pump milk for him to drink from a cup with some meals and plan to continue to do that....but im not sure it its the 'right' thing to do....
    as far as being sad...i had a really hard time at 6.5 months when we started solids....it took some time to get used to and now at almost 9 months i havent noticed a decrease in nursing....but i dont think ds is eating enough yet...i keep offering but not much makes it to his tummy!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

My DD refused the bottle at about 10-11 months old. But, by that time she was getting a fair amount of solids, which has continued to increase. We offer her EBM or cow's milk in a sippy (now usually cow's milk b/c I don't pump very often any more), water, and a variety of solid foods during the day, then BF on demand in the evenings and on weekends. She is growing and developing well. However, prior to 12 months this could be trickier because BM should still be their primary nutrition.
    For a couple of months during the transition from refusing the bottle to eating/drinking a decent amount during the day, she was still waking to BF about 3 times per night, so BM was still probably at least half of her nutrition. Now that she eats better during the day, she wakes to BF only once at night (plus twice in the evening and once in the morning).
    They do get better at eating solids with practice! IMO I don't see 12 months as a magic number for weaning, so don't worry if you're not exactly on "schedule." I thought I was going to wean at 12 months up until DD was 10-11 months old, but that plan changed.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

So, I have come to the conclusion, after some careful research that it really is best to continue to offer and persuade dd to nurse, at least until age 2. I really don't want to pump for another year, at least not at my current rate (3x a day) but I will still continue to offer her the breast when I think she might want it and I am going to continue to pump for a while yet, while we try to get her weaned off the bottles and onto a sippy cup. I am not sure how that will go, I will hvae to visit with my sitter about it. I think if she weren't getting her sucking needs met with a bottle she might be more inclined to want to nurse a little bit more. This might be difficult for the sitter though. I am surprised a LLL hasn't weighed in here, but that may be because not a lot of them work and have been through this. It would sure be nice to have some "expert" advice though !

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I cut out a pumping session only after my supply had reduced. And when I refer to a pumping session I am referring to my normal work schedule on the weekdays; I don't really have a set schedule on the weekends.

And cow's milk... I want to keep up my supply so I won't have to supplement before a year. And if LO does need supplement before a year, what is the best way to introduce it? Alternate at daycare with EBM and supplement? And what about introducing cow's milk, how should that be introduced (after 1 yr)?

Man this post is asking way more questions than there are answers for! Let's think of a way that all of us in the same boat can lean on each other during this period.
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    Nursed both boys to 14 months
    Birth Doula
    Wisconsin!

This is a great thread - It seems like we are all in the same boat, with tons of questions and NO answers! I am sure everyone gets through this by just taking it day by day and trying different things, but it would be SO much easier if there was a hard and fast way to do things! I know, every baby/situation is different, but it's so hard!

Anyway, it made me feel better to read this thread and know other women are going through the same things.

sally

Quote Originally Posted by tsoberdas View Post
    I cut out a pumping session only after my supply had reduced. And when I refer to a pumping session I am referring to my normal work schedule on the weekdays; I don't really have a set schedule on the weekends.

And cow's milk... I want to keep up my supply so I won't have to supplement before a year. And if LO does need supplement before a year, what is the best way to introduce it? Alternate at daycare with EBM and supplement? And what about introducing cow's milk, how should that be introduced (after 1 yr)?

Man this post is asking way more questions than there are answers for! Let's think of a way that all of us in the same boat can lean on each other during this period.

I just wanted to try to actually respond to some of your questions instead of posing more of my own! not that I am an authority, but at daycare, I send both EBM and formula. I used to send one mixed bottle of formula/bm, but when he didn't finish that bottle i got depressed, so i now send one all formula bottle and two bm bottles. when he doesn't finish the last bm bottle (he actually never finished any of them), at least they still have it out and I can use it in his cereal that night. i also figure that very soon I am going to have to offer more formula (pumping just once at work and once before bed) and it would be nice to know he can take it straight.

i plan on introducing cows milk around 1 year, but I know you don't have to. I will be asking my ped. tomorrow at DS's 9 month appt.

sally

This has been my experience.

I continued to pump until dd was 15 months. However, I began to reduce the number of pump sessions a day (3x/day, workdays only) once she was 12 months old. At this time her ped. gave me the green light for cow's milk so I figured I could supplement with it rather than use formula.

As my pump sessions declined and I produced less milk, I began to top off bottles with organic cow's milk(wow-was THAT liberating!). Another reason I mixed the two milks was to get dd acclimated to the taste of cow's milk. It can be a big adjustment and some babies are quite finicky (mine! ) In fact, several of my formula feeding friends had problems making the switch to milk, which surprised me.

Up to age 15 months I used only bottles. At 15 months I cut all bottles cold turkey and made a 100% switch to sippy cups. Maya had been using a sippy for about 5 months at this time, but she would only drink water out of it. Milk, whether mine or from a cow, HAD to come from something with a NIPPLE--mine or synthetic.

I felt confident that switching over to sippies cold turkey would get my daughter to start drinking milk from a sippy cup. Well--she'd inherited her mother's stubborness! At daycare she will drink, at most, an ounce or two of milk at a time from the cup. At home she will have nothing to do with milk in a cup. If I try to give her some, she will throw the cup across the kitchen (this usually happens immediately after I finish cleaning the floor). So she drinks water at home. I think we as moms need to choose our battles.

Instead of milk, I give her other dairy products like hard cheeses, yogurt, cottage cheese. My ped told me she only needs 3-4 servings a day of dairy, so that is what she gets. She also nurses 2-3 times per day, although I think it is more for comfort now than food. The sessions are quick and I never feel a let down.

Personally--I don't believe babies need cows milk. Cows milk is for calves. They do need all the goodness in the milk-vitamin D, fat, calcium etc. So as long as they get the nutrients from some other source, they should be ok. I don't see a problem in my daughter's disinterest in milk. In some ways I don't blame her, I haven't had a sip of milk in years because I don't like the taste.