Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being ok with baby needing less

Default Being ok with baby needing less

I'm admittedly having a bit of a rough time emotionally knowing that DS needs less mommy milk now. He's 9 1/2 months and we still have our morning, after work, and bedtime nursing routine. Sometimes more when I am home on the weekends. Today is my first day of pumping 1x per day at work instead of 2x per day. I am so proud of him and am trying very hard to be ok with myself making less milk. I mean, it's what is supposed to happen. I know that, but understanding that is another matter.

I'd love to hear experiences from others who've made this transition!
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

Default Re: Being ok with baby needing less

they just need you in diffenent ways as they get older.
    It is sad sometimes!

Today is the first day I'm cutting down to pumping 1 time at work. I was doing it 3x a day until a couple weeks before Christmas, and cut one out then. I have been incredibly busy at work, and am weaning at 1 year, so I thought I'd do it very, very slowly.

So here I am at 11:30am, when I used to pump at about 11, 1:30, and 4:30, and I'm planning to only pump once in the mid-day. I feel like this is the big turning point in losing my milk, and it's sad but I'm also looking forward to it. I didn't feel this way when I cut from 3x to 2x.

For us, the morning is the most "important" nursing. She is really distractible and like a gymnast nursing in the evenings, so I won't be sad to see that session go (she has never nursed to sleep so it's just a before bedtime feeding). Just remember what a great thing you have done for your child.

I'm reading "How Weaning Happens" and I read something last night that was a quote from Dr. Sears, that said that life is a series of weanings. I thought that was interesting.

Here is the quote I think: "Life is a series of weanings for a child: weaning from your womb, your breast, your bed, and your home. " http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026400.asp

You're right Cynthia, in being able to see the positive things about being done pumping at work. I mean, now I will have the time at work to go to the gym over lunch hour, and now I can work on a mind-daunting project without interruption to pump in the mornings or the afternoons.

I guess I just have to remember that milk supply is no indicator of how much baby needs me.
    Mommy to William, 4/29/09, 7 lbs 13 oz, 21 inches.
    Mommy to Evan, 3/18/06. 7 lbs 3 oz, 21 1/4 inches.
    WOHM! Nursed both boys to 14 months!
    Student Doula with Childbirth International
    Wisconsin!

True - your baby will still need you just as much, just in a different way.

I'm sad and also feel guilty because the reasons I'm looking forward to it are selfish ones. But you're right about working on something at work without interruption. Even going from 3 pumps to 2, I became way more productive. I'm the boss, so I really need to be focused, and even though I have a hands-free bra and could keep working, I had to clear my desk of a complicated project to pump or do something like catch up on email or something.

I just wanted to say that I know how you feel! I think these conflicted feelings are normal. I research everything I do, and I've found that the most info on weaning I can find is for weaning toddlers or children that self-wean. It has been difficult to navigate through the weaning of a 11-12 month baby.

I was in the same situation in October. To me, cutting down to one pumping session was sort of like standing on the edge of a ledge and getting ready to jump. I was so paranoid that my milk would just dry up and BF would have to end.

But everything turned out ok. It took several days for my body to adjust--so I was uncomfortably full for the first week. It took me a little longer to adjust emotionally. My hormones went wacky for a few weeks and I felt a bit down at times.

In the end, you gain an enormous amount of freedom. For the first couple of months I had a giddy sense of freedom--you mean I can leave the house for a full day and never have to think about my breasts? Wow! I no longer have to sit behind a closed office door with my pump going and listen to people knock (despite the note on the door!!!) and feel kind of sneaky as if I were taking a nap?! Incredible! Believe it or not--this excitement leaves as the novelty of NOT pumping wears off. Now I rarely give it a thought.

And don't worry- your lo loves you and still needs you so much, regardless of how often you pump or nurse. BF is just the start of your relationship...and what a wonderful start!

I am going through this very same thing right now...I still haven't come up with a solution. If you ladies are cutting out pumping sessions, are you replacing bm with cow's milk (or some other milk)? Are your little ones still taking it in a bottle or have they transitioned to a cup at the care provider? Hmmm...this is a whole new world!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Erin, I have the same questions you do. While my DD is definitely nursing less, she has still been drinking the same amount at daycare. So I have still been pumping 3x day in order to give her 3 bottles. I would love to cut down or out the pumping, but it is now a struggle to get 3 bottles worth while pumping 3x. It is so stressful. I used to be able to pump 4.5-5 bottles in 3 pumping sessions. I tried giving DD some cows milk in a sippy (cold) this week. She drank a bit, but not much. I plan to try giving her some warm in a bottle to see how she'll do with it. I feel so conflicted. I'd like to reduce or eliminate pumping at work as it's become very stressful to try to keep up with her bottles. On the other hand, I feel disappointed in myself that I can't keep up and provide her with ebm which I know is best. Illogical since I know at her age she is getting plenty of bm with the nusings we do have in addition to her solids.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Hi there.

Just wanted to let you all know i am in the exact same boat. I seem to have been trying to get DS to nurse more for me than him! I know weaning is going to be harder on me than him. He is 9 months. I am actually working on weaning the middle of the night feeding - at 4 or 5 am right now.

I also have the same questions about sending bottles to daycare. He drinks less and less there, but nurses right when i pick him up. I send him with 3 bottles to daycare, but at home during the same time period I feed him one bottle in the morning, lunch and then a nursing session in the afternoon. it's really confusing to know how much he needs.

I have been doing one pumping at 2:00 at work everyday because that's when I still nurse him at home. I guess that will be the next to go. I am reluctant to do that though because he doesn't take more than 3 ounces in the bottle, even if it's been 4 hours!

sally

I just have this problem with putting cow's milk in a bottle. It seems to me that if she is drinking a bottle then she should be getting bm. I hate bottles, and I don't want her staying attached to one but I am not sure that she will get enough if she doesn't drink it from a bottle.

This is really perplexing! I am just so confused about what to do. I also am concerned for my supply if I should cut out my pumping sessions. Is that a valid concern at this point?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes