Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Putting baby on diet??

Unhappy Putting baby on diet??

I just saw my pedi yesterday for our 2 month check up, my baby is 13 lbs and only breastfeeding, my pedi states that he is about 2 lbs over what he should be. He feeds about every two hours during the day and every three hours at night. He only eats for about 7 mins on one side each feeding. I cannot get him to eat longer or on the other side most of the time, although there is a rare occasion he will eat longer and from both sides with really no change in frequency of feeds. My pedi wants me to "get mean" and encourage him to stretch out between feeds by letting him fuss a little and distracting him. Is this normal? Should I just keep feeding him the same?

Default Re: Putting baby on diet??

ugg doctors.. just feed him the same!
    I wonder what he would tell a formula feeder? Babies come in may sizes and to say that a two month old is overweight? uggg!!!!!!!

Nods.

Babies grow at their own rate. Your baby is growing at the perfect rate for *him*. It may help to know that many breastfed babies grow faster than their formula fed counter parts in the early months.

Would you like more information on breastfeeding and growth?

I would ignore his advice. My ped said that it was normal for breastfed babies to go off the charts (over 100th percentile). A "diet" would not be considered until a child is over 2. Your baby is getting the best food it can get. Keep up the good work Mom!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Your Dr is a moron. Just feed your baby whenever he's hungry.

I think a hundred million mothers can't be wrong. And that's probably about how many mothers over the course of recorded human history would say that your doctor couldn't be more wrong. My now 9 MO was at least 13 pounds by her 2 month check up from my recollection. Come on, what's wrong with this world when a 2 MONTH old is told to diet?!!!

Yup, I agree that your Dr. is a moron....I just took ds for his 2 month check up as well and he's a chunky 14 lbs 8 ounces!!!! yea baby!!!! He's happy, adorable, strong, and when my Dr tried to give me a warning about him being in the 95th percentile I just smiled and said, "yep, he nurses like a champ." Way to go mom!!!

I think you should find yourself a new Ped. That is terrible advice. A newborn (as far as I know) can not overeat. Oh brother...

Thanks for all of the encouragement!! I have decided to just follow what my baby needs! Right now he's the boss. I would love some more info on breastfeeding and growth. Thanks again, this is just what a new mom like me needs!!