Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: introducing cow's milk

Red face introducing cow's milk

hi! my son is a year old (still breastfeeding), and i plan on weaning most of his feedings very soon (at least the ones during the day). i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for introducing cow's milk. we have tried giving him organic whole cow's milk, but he does not like the taste. also, we have tried mixing the cow's milk with the breastmilk, but he refused that also.
    1. are there alternatives to the cow's milk that have enough fat/nutrients?
    2. how does a clever mom go about giving these alternatives?
    3. does yogurt have too much sugar to be considered an alternative?
    4. does he *need* the milk? if he loves water, how do i feed him to make sure he's getting what he needs?

if anyone can tell me what they've done, i would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!!!

Default Re: introducing cow's milk

No, he does not "need" milk, especally if he's still nursing minimum of 3-4 times a day. Milk is just a convienent source of fat, protein, and calcium, but he can totally get all of that from other sources. Yogurt is a fine choice; just find one that has little or no sugar and is made from full fat milk.

we don't drink milk at our house as a beverage. The kids mostly just eat it on cold ceral and I do cook with it sometimes.
    its ok not to drink lots of milk.
    from dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042200.asp

Dairy. One serving = 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of yogurt, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1 ounce of cheese

good luck!

thank you both for responding. i've been reading dr. sears' website trying to get some insight. i'm just confused about substituting the breastmilk with other things. i guess as long as there is variety, i should be okay. i've never heard of almond milk. is that any good? and what about chocolate whole milk (organic)? hmm...

I really love almond milk!! The only thing is that you need to be sure your child is not allergic to tree nuts. Tree nuts are a common allergen so proceed with caution! I find it really tasty though, especially the vanilla flavored one.

A quick tip regarding yogurt...

I buy the plain full fat yogurt and mix in our own fruit...

Apple sauce works really well (easy), as does any other organic fruit that I grate in to the yogurt. If I'm in a hurry, I'll add in some organic jarred baby food fruit. We also mix in wheat germ for some extra vitamins.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi