Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: where has all the milk gone????

Default where has all the milk gone????

DS is 5-1/2 mos old and has been pretty much fed on demand. Up until this past week he nursed regularly 6 x's during the day and once at night. (He has been on solids since he was 3 mos per his pediatrician). He is a very distracted nurser. If there is anything going on he stops turns around to see what is happening. Even sitting in a seperate room where it is quieter does not help. No matter where I am he can always hear his sister, daddy, etc.
    My problem happened this week when my milk suddenly dissappeared. One morning when I got up it was like I had never breast-fed. I have been trying to let him nurse as often as he wants but again each session was maybe lasting 3-4 min because of "life" happening around him. I have started pumping about every 2 hours and I am only getting 2 oz total per session. I used to be able to get 6 oz total per session. I am taking fenugreek (for the past 24 hours) and have not noticed any increase in my supply. I am so frustrated and do not want to give up giving him breast-milk whether it be directly from the breast or in a bottle. He will spend more time taking it from a bottle because he can sit up and see what's happening, and I don't mind that.
    My problem is simply getting my supply increased. I've been taking the fenugreek for 36 hours now, and pumping every 2 hours during the day for the same amount of time (tonight is the first night I got up to pump)
    What else do I do? I am drinking plenty of water, and limiting all other activity. I have tried letting him nurse as much as he wants but he just cries the whole time as he's not getting anything (I used to have a pretty good let-down which is no longer there when he nurses)

Default Re: where has all the milk gone????

Hi!
    At 5&1/2 months what you are probably describing is your body has just adjusted to what he is ACTUALLY eating. When this happens your breast will be come softer because you no longer have engorgement issues and it is difficult to pump unless you have been doing it at a set time everyday because, your body simply doesn't produce more than your baby drinks. The good news is that by this age, they have usually become so efficient at the breast that it's totally possible for them to drain it under 5min! So I wouldn't stress your self out trying to make more and pump. While your child may eat out of a bottle and finish it, it' doesn't mean he has to. If you have been EBFing this whole time, you should be fine. Is the diaper out put still 4-6 wet a day and at least one poopy one a week? At this age you can also trust your child to eat when hungry. Being distracted is par for the course. Alot of mothers try to take baby into a dark room to nurse, some having nursing necklaces and swear they make a huge difference, but the truth is, if your child is content to only eat when going down and coming up from naps and at night, if that totals 4x a day or more, you should be fine. Don't worry! Enjoy the fact that he doesn't need to eat every two hours!

Way too lazy for formula

So we went to the dr's and his lack of nursing is a) being distracted, and b) a stomach virus. The stomach virus at this point has run its course and so now I'm building my supply back up. DS was NOT content nursing as he wasn't getting anywhere. So I stopped at Wild Oats our healthfood store and bought some More Milk Plus (as the fenugreek was not working) by Motherlove and WOW The milk is BACK! DS is HAPPY as can be cause he can nurse and he gets fed! He isn't fussing, and squirming the whole time and frantic that there isn't any milk. I can pump AFTER nursing and still get milk to store up for each Wed morning when he stays home with DH while I go out for a few hours. (I pump normally when I get home)

Just thought I'd share about that supplement. It's been a LIFESAVER for me!

I have never heard of More milk Plus. I drink 2-3 cups of Mother's milk tea every day and things seem to be going fine right now. I'm keeping up but not getting ahead for when DD goes to DCP.