Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poor latch at 6 weeks

Default Poor latch at 6 weeks

My son has recently been latching on very poorly, there is a clicking noise when he nurses, and easily slips off the breast. After a few minutes of nursing, during which he seems to be getting a good deal of milk, he will settle into a deeper latch. This is a problem that has just started in the last couple of weeks. He has gained well since birth, had no problems nursing at the start, and still seems satisfied after nursing. However, he seems to swallow a lot of air while not latched on well, and has periods of painful gassiness. I had wondered if giving him a pacifier occasionaly, which we did between weeks 3 and 5, was contributing to the latch problem and so I've stopped using it for several days now with no noticeable difference. He seems to have a very strong need to suck, and not for milk neccessarily- he loves just a finger!-, so the pacifier was soothing to him. Could "nipple confusion" be the problem? If he is gaining well is it just the way he nurses? Thanks for any info.

Default Re: Poor latch at 6 weeks

The clicking noise, painful gassiness, and poor latch until milk flow slows down suggests a problem with overactive letdown, which often goes hand-in-hand with oversupply. I don't have handy links right now, but there is information about both OALD and oversupply in other threads here and also on the lalecheleague.org website as well as the kellymom.com website (this is reliable but not a LLL-approved resource).

To help your baby cope with the rapid flow of milk at your letdown, try nursing while you are lying back in a recliner or somewhat propped up on pillows in bed. With your baby on top of your breast (from whatever angle works well), gravity helps slow the flow of milk and might make it easier for him to stay latched well and keep up with the milk.

Oversupply is also manageable, so if you feel like this is part of the problem, post more about your nursing patterns and I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

--Rebecca

This is a long article, but it's one of my favorites about overactive letdown/nipple issues.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html

I have been reading about over active letdown and oversupply and wondering if those were problems I was having, but I'm not sure. When my son begins nursing, before there is even a letdown, he is latched on poorly and loosely. I have tried taking him off and seeing if there is an excess of milk, but many times there isn't even a drop! He doesn't have green poop very often, and only has poops about every other day. He can be very gassy, but can't that be from other things? With the OALD wouldn't the spray of milk be obvious to me if I pull him off?