Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby changing his mind about weaning

Question Baby changing his mind about weaning

OK, I am confused. My son is 12 months old and for the past month I have been slowly phasing out feedings. He sleeps all night and eats a lot of solids, so I think a lot of his nursings were/are for comfort.

I am only starting to wean him because I want to regulate my cycles more so I can conceive again. I haven't done any thing that has upset him. Don't offer, don't refuse has been my strategy. So far it has been very easy and stress free. He was down to once a day before bed.

Well, and here's my point (sorry I'm long winded ) A lot of my family has been sick the past week with colds and intestinal bugs so I kind of panicked and started to offer my son the breast a lot so he would get more anti-bodies. Well since I've done that he has started asking to nurse all the time! Today he nursed about 8 times. And he is becoming demanding, whining and pulling my shirt. He is also much more clingy. It's like he's regressing.

This is all within the span of one week mind you.

I will keep nursing him if he wants it so badly because I don't want to deprive him in order to conceive again. I just don't understand what changed so quickly. He went from never asking to wanting it all the time.

Any advice or wisdomis greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Baby changing his mind about weaning

If you take a look at the whole big picture, yesterday was New Year's Day, and one week ago was Christmas, basically a whole week with ALOT of activity and lots of new people around and lots of excitement and overstimulation. It could be that your LO needs extra comfort from you. I'm sure he wouldn't have nursed if he didn't want to when you offered it to him. They know what they want, and he may have asked for it anyway. I know with my LO that he needs his Mommy more during big holidays like that...in fact, on Christmas Eve, he only wanted me or DH at the BIG gathering...and he nursed more frequently than normal...plus, his nap schedule was off during most activities etc.

So anyway, what I'm saying is that at 12 mos., he probably just recognized a situation where he needed you more than say during a normal boring week....or he could've recognized that he needed more breastmilk than he did a week before.

If you aren't opposed to it, I would suggest just relaxing and going with your original strategy of feeding him when he asks to. 12 mos. is still pretty young for him to want to completely wean, and he may have a few more times where he'll want to nurse more or less depending on what he wants.

Re: your fertility issue...have you gotten your AF back yet? I've heard that if you haven't, some ladies have success with night weaning and just nursing during the daytime hours and at bedtime. And also, I read somewhere where it says that a woman's body doesn't get back their normal stores of iron and nutrients etc. until like 18 mos. PP. In fact, I've heard that alot of doc.s actually suggest that going like 18 mos. before conceiving again is actually better for YOUR body. So anyway, my point is that unless you have some sort of time constraint, like advanced maternal age(I hate that term, LOL) maybe if you just go with the flow a bit, things will go better for your body with pregnancy #2. I've heard that mommies who conceive really soon after they have a baby actually have a rough time of it sometimes.

Just a thought though...trying to make you feel better even though things aren't really going as planned right now.

I don't have much weaning experience because I'm in a very slow process of weaning also, but when reading your post I thought that maybe he is coming down with one of those illnesses, or fighting something off. It could be that the increase in nursing is his body telling him that he needs it to feel better.

Maybe wait it out a few days and see how he does.

Just a thought!
    Cynthia

Thanks Ladies, yeah I think I will just relax a bit. I am of advanced maternal age, 37( I hate that term too, sounds like I'm ready for medicare) so I don't want to wait too long. Fortunately I do have AF back. She's been back since 3 months post partum. I just don't ovulate consistently (I'm charting).

Maybe I'll just take it day by day and maybe I'll get pregnant while still nursing my son. I know lots of women do. I guess I'm just afraid of taxing my body too much and risking the new baby. Especially since I'm soooo old. I hate the thought of thinking and worrying so much about the next conception that I miss out on my son that I have now. Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom.

I bet relaxation is just what you need...who knows, maybe you'll ovulate this month and have another LO by September!!!!

Advanced Maternal Age is a horrible term!!! You are not ready for medicare!!! Honestly, Its like all those OB's got together to find a term to make people over age 35 feel like they were ready for the old folks home. I'm only 32 and 1/2, but I'm totally trying to figure out when we should try for baby #3 so the baby would be born before I turn 35 so I don't have to deal with my OB saying that Advanced Maternal Age thing all the time and wanting me to have an ultrasound every 15 min.

Personally, I think Advanced Maternal Age is like the 67 yr old woman in Spain who just gave birth to twins... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16417066/ Why compared to her, women in their 30's are just babies, LOL!!!