Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work

Default Going back to work

I am going back to work and i need advice on pumping to send breastmilk to the daycare for my DS. I am only pumping 1/2 ozs at a time and i 'm taking more milk plus along with reglan to increase my supply. I dont want to send him to daycare with formula unless it is necessary. How can i increase it more to accomodate him while im gone?

Default Re: Going back to work

Hi there,
    It is great that you want to be able to provide BM for your ds instead of formula!

A few questions...
    What type of pump are you using?

Will you be able to pump at work? How often?

What is your schedule going to be? Times for wake up, off to daycare, pickup, etc? (I ask this because some moms become very creative in finding ways to nurse baby at DCP right before leaving and nurse right upon arrival in order to minimize the amount of milk needed while separated.)

Does ds nurse at night right now? What is a typical day like for him?

You may wish to check the stickies at the top of this forum on increasing supply and also check out the Working Forum down below. Those moms will be of great help to you!

Also - Are you trying to pump right after BFing? If so - 1/2 oz can be a lot.

I am now using the medela lactina that i am renting from the health department. I used to use the first years double pump and that was only yielding the 1/2 oz. I can now say that i am getting at least 1 oz per session with the lactina.

When i go back to work my schedule will be 7a-7p and the lactina isnt really discreet enough for me to take to work and pump when needed to increase my supply.

I will be taking the kids to daycare by 6:30 am. I should be waking up around 5:00am to get them dressed. I will try and have the bags packed and clothes out in advance to help me get out of the house on time.

We nurse about every hour now since i think he is going through a growth spurt. I nurse him at night until he falls back to sleep. Sometimes he just wants to use me as a pacifier.

Right now i usually am in the middle of pumping when he wants to nurse, so I stop and feed him