Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mix feeding and feeling terrible about it

Default Re: mix feeding and feeling terrible about it

thanks carol!
    recently dd went from 3-5 bowel movements a day to only 1, sometimes 2 every other day and boy are they massive! there is no diaper that can hold what she puts out! her wets range from 8-10 a day sometimes a little less. her ped only had us supplementing up until that third week, after she had gained the 12 1/2 he just said she was gaining well. i was so afraid to stop supplementing all together so i just cut down to only 1 or 2 bottles a day.
    after i see a consultant i'm definetly going to try to ween her off of the formula because if i'm making enough milk for her then i don't want to supplement.
    also i had a blockage in one of my breasts a couple of weeks ago and i suspected it was from all the suppelmenting i did in the first few weeks of her life!
    i wish more doctors would encourage you and give you information(or at least point you in the direction of the LLL so you can get the info you need, instead of just telling you to supplement.)

hey there
    i have a prem son and because of is prematurity we had to have him on the bottle and i pumped to supply the milk, eventually my milk depleted so i needed to introduce formula which the first time i did i cried!! i felt like i was failing my son so i promised myself to still try the breast even if it means we just will suck and no milk will come thats fine. i took supplements to encourage the milk and i gave him bottles and immediately gave him breast after as a top up and everyday it got better. he started off with 6 bottles in the day and about 3 at night to only 1 bottle during the day only and on the boob all night. it makes me feel better i think the 1-2 bottles a day is fine in fact it helps if in emergencies some1 else like dad or grandparents can help lookafter. i just feel grateful he drinks from me at all...

Here's some information about diagnosing and fixing a low supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

((hug )) I hope you can get back to 100% bfing. I am low supply due to breast reduction so I know what you mean about the guilt and sorrow.

thanks to the both of you.
    i know i shouldn't feel so bad about it and yes it is convenient and nice for daddy to be able to feed her sometimes(he was worried before her birth that he was going to miss out on that!) but i want to do what i feel is better for her.
    today i limited her to 1 oz. at a time and she drank about 3 oz. today.
    her wets are still great and she seems very content!

That's great! Keep up the good work. Tomorrow is a new day!