Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Moves A Lot While Feeding

Question Baby Moves A Lot While Feeding

My daughter is now 4 weeks old and I've noticed recently that she moves like crazy sometimes when she is on the breast - almost violently - she seems very uncomfortable for some reason. It's almost like she is having a bad dream. I don't know if it's gas or that? Does anyone have this happen to them?

Default Re: Baby Moves A Lot While Feeding

Does she move like that continuously or does it stop? At what point in the feeding does it start? Is she doing anything else like choking or gagging? When did this start?

I am having similar issues. My baby is 3 weeks old. Though weight gain and "output" are fine, he has always squirmed throughout feedings, sometimes choking and gagging, often pulling off, or pulling just enough to cause me pain! Feedings are not long--he has never taken more than 10 minutes per breast--but are awkward and discouraging. I have to watch him like a hawk to ensure he doesn't pull away and yank on my nipple--leaving me with a strained neck from looking down for so long!

Today has been especially bad--he pulled off to cry, and has cried after each feeding today. (This may be a separate issue--funny taste? I don't know.) It sounds like most babies are typically so much more relaxed when feeding. It's one of our biggest battles, and we fight it over and over again every day. . . . *sigh*
    Last edited by kmog; February 14th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

My baby sounds exactly like yours. I am not sure what is wrong with him or me. I know he is getting enough so I am not concerned with that but I am so sore. I also do not like that he crys during feedings. It seems as if he is in pain. I wish I knew how to help him. Oh, and to make my breasts a little less sore.

Choking, gagging, pulling off the breast and clamping down on the breast during a feeding are all signs of an overactive let-down. Your milk sprays out rather forcefully and it's difficult for baby to keep up with. Your baby will eventually adjust to it but in the meantime you can use gravity to your advantage by placing baby on top of you while you lay on your back and nurse baby that way. You can also pump until let down and then put baby to breast. Or you can let baby nurse until let down, take him off until let down subsides and put him back on

Good luck to you!

Thank you Carol. I've heard that from someone else too regarding the let down. Some feedings she is fine the whole time and some feedings she groans and moves. She doesnt really cry though which is good. When she does it is usually after a few minutes and most of the time she is not on the breast too long -- usually 10-15 minutes. I just wasn't sure if letdown was the issue or my diet -- if she is not liking the taste of my milk by what I'm eating such as dairy -- i tend to eat a lot of dairy. If it's the letdown issue than I feel better. Thank you!

I have similar issues with my 5 week old, but he almost looks like he's playing. He'll let go,and then move his open mouth back and forth across my nipple, but doesn't latch (usually mid feeding). It's strange, but after a bit he'll latch on and keep eating. Any ideas why?

WOW! I am so glad to hear other's are having the same issues! My 5 week old does the same thing. I am not sure it is let down becuase she does not choke or gag! It is only on 1 breast. She will drink fine for about 5 - 8 minutes and then all of a sudden she starts whinning and squirming. She insists on yanking back on my nipple as far as she can and then will throw her head back into my breast. If I am firm and hold her head still from yanking back on me, she will bite down on me and then let go and scream and cry! I try to get her to latch back on, but she does not latch and seems to play with my nipple (like she is nawing on it) with her gums and tounge.
    I would really love to know what this is! I figured something was wrong with me or my milk supply..... Would love advice and comments as everyone else does!! She is gaining about 1 ounce a day.....
    GREAT THREAD!!!

Smile Re: Baby Moves A Lot While Feeding

Thanks for the great advice. From this thread and a talk with a Lactation Consultant, I think we've solved the problem. OALD seems to be the culprit for most of the squirming and fussing and pulling off. Baby is also an effective suckler--he drains a breast in under ten minutes. When he starts pulling away and wanting to treat my nipple like a pacifier, he's simply not hungry any more, or has finished the breast. (Could it be that simple?) Weighing him on a hospital scale immediately before and after a feeding confirmed that he is getting plenty in that short amount of time.

Laying back while nursing has worked great to ease his discomfort during let-down. He fights less and consequently is calmer for the rest of the feeding as well. (This seemed to be a huge problem--he would be so upset because of the let-down that he never could settle down again.) When he still has trouble with let-down, I have also pulled him off, pumped a little, and put him back on. This has helped, too. Finally, when the squirming and nipple-chewing begins, time is up! I (and my breasts) are a lot happier now that we don't engage in that anymore!

This has been a horribly trying time for me. . . . Thanks for the advice. I hope it helps others as well.

my 12 week old usually squirms and yanks when she has a bubble and will usually settle down after a good burp.