Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infant breastfeeding problems

Question infant breastfeeding problems

My son is just 2 1/2 weeks old. I have concerns regarding if he's getting enough breast milk. I know that everybody tells me if he wets more than 6 diapers a day then it's fine, but his intake of breast milk is very little only 10-15 min on each side after every 3-4 hours. Is this normal...Please help.

Default Re: infant breastfeeding problems

ds could be just be good at extracting the milk from your breast. Don't ever worry about how long it takes cause has he gets older it might only be for 5 minutes. My ds1 only nursed for 5mins right from the beginning and only on one side per nursing session. So yes if hes have 6 wet diapers a day and 3 stools a day then all is good and nothing to worry about. I thought the same with ds2 but he gained weight like ninety like a pound a week. So if your really concerned just go get him weighed quickly at the doctors. Just call ahead and ask if you can just come in for a quick weight check. It's not usually a problem especially if they have nurses to help. Hope that helps.

Default Re: infant breastfeeding problems

"Watch the baby, not the clock"

As long as your baby is having 5-6 wet diapers per day plus 3-4 poopy diapers per day then this is a good indication that he's getting all he needs.

Some babies are extremely efficient and get all they need in 5 minutes or less at the breast. Just be sure to allow baby to meet all of his sucking needs at the breast and to nurse him when he needs to nurse.

Try not to worry and trust in your body & your baby to work together in perfect harmony. You're doing a great job -- keep it up!