Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My kid doesnot leave BF even after 2 yrs

Default My kid doesnot leave BF even after 2 yrs

My boy is 27 months old. Considering the scientific advise to continue breastfeeding for atleast 2 yr age and proper weaning from 6 months onwards I did that. Now he is eating well throughout the day but I am tired and frustrated of his habit of demanding breast while going to sleep, multiple times in night which is disturbing my sleep and I feel lethargic during the day. Above that whenever he wakes up in the morning or afternoon nap he needs me only. If denied at any time or even on attempts to distract him from breastfeeding makes him cry incessantly and ultimately i have to breast feed him. Otherwise he is wel behaved and happy guy. Is he developing addiction to nipple? Is it a behaviourial problem? I want to put him to a play group and i want to resume my profession but am afaraid that he will get psychological trauma if i stop breastfeeding all of a sudden and let him cry for it rather than he leaving the breast voluntarily. Please guide.

Default Re: My kid doesnot leave BF even after 2 yrs

lll recomends weaning with love over time.
    theres a bunch of info on the web site about it.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBweaning.html
    check out the stories from new beginings they are stories from real moms!
    Some moms find that if they drop a few feeds and limit night time nursing they don't feal like they need to wean cold turkey.
    this is a good link from dr sears.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/weantoddler.html

The last feeds to go should be the ones that baby likes the most, bed time and nap time for most babies.
    If you work slowly with your child he'll do just fine with out too much crying.

This sounds so much like my own children at that age. If you look around you will see many, many toddlers/preschoolers who still are very dependant on the bottle, pacifier or blanket. The need to suck and for comfort remains very strong through early childhood.

You will see a big change in the year ahead as he becomes more independant. For now as you have seen he is not ready and becomes very upset the more you try to delay breastfeeding. You might experiment and see if it works better to give in to him right away rather than try to hold him off.

You should be able to slowly return to work and leave him in a daycare situation. Once he is comfortable there he will find other interests but when you return he may need a long nursing session. I found it easier to have daddy take them to daycare in the beginning. Start off slowly and once you have a routine most children really begin to enjoy the playtime with other children and accept the time away from mother.

Many older nurslings may be quite adamant about wanting to nurse if you are there, but are able to adapt to other surroundings, too. Weaning abruptly can be more difficult emotionally for the child and lead to risk of plugged ducts and mastitis for the mother.
    Maybe there is some middle ground that will work for you and your child? Would there be a part-time option for playgroup that might offer your child some time to adjust?
    Mary

My Youngest dd is 25 months and still feeding like a trooper! She is even gone back to feeding 2 or 3 times a night! I am also a little fed up and tired. I keep on reiminding myself that the world is a great big place and my lo can need alot of comfort when she see's and learns all about it. You are not alone and they do grow up far to quickly.
    best wishes
    Amanda

I could have written your post! No advice, but I wanted to say that I am in the same boat. I know DS doesn't absolutely *need* it in every way because he is fine if I am gone for a day...but as soon as I am around, he wants it! I am getting tired and sore and a little cranky about it myself, which makes me unhappy. If I refuse, he cries and I feel my heart being ripped out.
    Ciao

I nursed my daughter until she was 27 months...and we had the same issues...at 18 months, I simply told her that she could nurse down to sleep and when she woke up...but there was no nursing during the night. If she woke up to nurse during the night, I just gently reminded her that "when the sun wakes up, we'll nurse." She did cry...but we just did our best to comfort her and let her know it was ok. It took about a week and she was fine...sleeping through the night.

At two you can start setting limits/negotiating. We did "when the sun wakes up" to stop night nursing. Boy, ds was in our bed every morning at the first sign of dawn but he did stop nursing in the night. You can try to nurse only in certain places, like your special chair or bed. I enjoyed 'Mothering Your Nursing Toddler' and I know there are several other books by LLL that also deal with weaning. The first few times of setting a limit are the hardest so having some distractions planned may help--new toy/craft/fun snack/activity/outting. Dad's involvement can be very helpful, especially at night.
    Good luck in finding what works best for you!

I also am frustrated with the constant night time nursing, feeling exhausted and irritable. I just try and remind myself that this is temporary, will not last forever and someday I may wish she would wake me up in the middle of the night...That helps me when I am frustrated.

My son turns 2 next week and would happily nurse for hours, take a minute or two break then go back to nursing for hours. We had to stop nursing at night (well sort-of) since he got dental carries and had to have root canals on all 4 of his front top teeth from nursing at night (all night long nearly every night). I am 7 months pregnant and I still nurse him when he absolutely needs it at night, but I try to distract him prior to giving up the nipple if possible. He is probably down to 3-5 times a night before 4:30 in the am. We tell him he can only have water after we brush his teeth at night because we don't want to have to put him under for dental work again (very traumatic). My son is the same in that he won't accept anyone else when he wants the breast. My husband gets to sleep all night while I'm up with him. I just keep reminding myself how special our time is and that I'll miss it some day. I work full time and have a nanny come in. I go home for lunch to nurse him to sleep for a nap and he seems content with that. I plan to tandem nurse with the new baby. Not sure how that'll go...
    tamig