Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in Latch - only on right breast?

Default Change in Latch - only on right breast?

Allen is just over 3 weeks old and he's very good at latching on. However, just recently his latch on my right breast seems to have changed. It's OK for the first few minutes then my nipple starts to sting - the part that's in the right side of his mouth. When I break suction and look at my nipple, it seems like maybe he's chewing on that part of my nipple.

I don't know how my nipple is migrating into this position, how to stop it, and why it only happens on the right breast? This is making my right nipple sore! I've been using the football hold during the day to rotate the pressure points and let my nipple heal, but at night we cradle hold and it still happens.

Any thoughts?

Jennifer

Default Re: Change in Latch - only on right breast?

You may want to go back to the basics as far as latching and positioning go. If baby is malpositioned by even an inch it can cause issues. It's difficult to evaluate a latch in this format so you may want to get in touch with a LLL Leader that is close to you and ask her to take a look. Also, keep trying different positions -- you may find one that works better

I will go back to the basics and make him re-latch if it's not right. It's funny, I seem to be a "left boob" lady; it's just easier to position him and nurse that side. I can't give up on the right side though!

Jennifer

I'm a left boob lady, too. I think it's b/c I'm right handed, it just seems easier on that side. Applying lanolin, just a tiny bit after each feeding really helped heal my nipples.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I was going to ask if you are right handed or left.
    Many women have a bit of a tougher time getting baby latched on to their dominant side.

Also you may notice a difference in the evening or at night if you're tired.
    Try some pillows to aide in getting baby adjusted just right.

Best of luck to you.
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

I figured out what the problem was and it wasn't our latch at all. It's thrush! I just noticed some white puffy stuff on his lips the other day and my right nipple burns now. Of course, now the left is starting to flare up.

I'm trying grapefruit seed extract first - I hope that works! If not then I'll move to gentian violet if I can find it. If all else fails I'll call the doc and get some nystatin.

Jennifer

I'm a left-boober too! But I'm also left-handed...hope I didn't shoot a hole in the dominant side theory!

Latching on is difficult and we're struggling with it, too. I'm going to a LLL breastfeeding meeting on Tuesday and will hopefully get some help then.