Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Can't wake baby to feed.

Default Help! Can't wake baby to feed.

My daughter Mya is a week old today. She seems to be a colicky baby... fussy and won't sleep, crying, needing constant comfort measures and breif periods of nursing for about 3 straight hours each night, somewhere between the hours of 10pm and 3am. After she finally falls asleep, she'll usually wake for one more nite feeding then sleep soundly until morning. After her 7 or 8 am feeding she sleeps...long and hard. I am lucky to get her to wake up after 4 hours then after nursing she falls asleep again for another 4 hour or more bout.... If I try to wake her to feed after 2 - 2.5 hrs, she takes 2 sucks and promptly falls deeply asleep again. If I continue to try to rouse her she becomes very worked up and won't nurse because she is so mad... if she finally relents and latches on, she again falls deeply asleep after 2 or 3 sucks.

This is terribly compounding the severe engorgement I have been experiencing and I am so sleep deprived I barely know what to do. Please help with any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Wink Re: Help! Can't wake baby to feed.

Hi...I know what you are going through...kind of. My daughter is 7 months old now and we are set in our ways...FINALLY! But I was extremely frustrated when I first brought her home and ended back in the hospital my third day at home (she was 5 days old) to get HELP!!! Rebecca would fall asleep after a few sucks too. It might help to undress her first, so she is a little chilled, just to wake her up a bit. If that doesn't work and she refuses to wake, let her sleep a little longer....maybe 3-3 1/2 hours before waking her. Then make sure she is latched on good...if she isn't getting anything because of poor latching, she might get board and fall asleep too. As for engorgement, take a hot shower and let it run on your breasts. It feels GREAT! Whatever you do....PLEASE give it time!!! I would have QUIT after two weeks if I didn't keep trying...then about week three....everything fell in place and oila! Happy baby....Happy mama!
    Jill

Default Re: Help! Can't wake baby to feed.

Click on this link to see a cute breastfeeding comic strip. I have it hanging by my desk at school!

http://www.babyblues.com/Testing/ind...ToDay=01/30/06

Bobindy,

Is your baby having plenty of wet and poopy diapers? http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

Did any of the tips for relieving engorgement help you? What have you tried?

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader and/or IBCLC?

I've been having the same problem! My daughter likes to use me as a pacifier during the night, otherwise she fusses so bad she won't sleep, or nurse. I have found though, during the past few days and nights, that incorporating a schedule is a BIG help. I found that keeping her awake for an hour or two before bed by sitting on the floor with her helped BIG time. By the time I'm ready for bed (about 10) she was due for her last feeding, then I put her down, and was surprised to find she was actually ready to sleep. She's 11 days old. She will then wake 2 more times during the night, but laying the foundation makes those feedings much more peaceful.