Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ditching the supplements--need advice!

Default Re: Ditching the supplements--need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Channy View Post
    Thanks for your response..yes, we do have latch problems! My son was born with tongue tie and although he did have it clipped, he is not the best nurser. I do have to re-position him alot! The entire time I have been supplementing I have used a Medela Haberman feeder so his suck would get stronger. However, my LC evaluated his latch several times and said it looked good. Something about his technique hurts me, and it is much worse when my breasts are low, after the initial let down. When my breasts are very full, such as during night feedings, he does very well!
    This puzzles me...could it be he damages my nipple out of frustration?
    Anyhow, I am concerned about thrush. I have a prescription for Diflucan still, and acidophilus tablets. Also, I have the anti-fungal cream. Last time, I used all of those things plus my son had the Nystatin.
    My breasts have been slightly itchy--I wonder if the pain could be from the thrush? I took a week or so break from nursing and exlusively pumped about two weeks ago to heal my breasts (doc felt it was necessary) as they were quite damaged.
    Do you think it is possible that I never got rid of the thrush? My baby is showing no symptoms, and I have no pain during pumping--only nursing.

ALSO--the LC never did mention "phasing out" supplements--that makes so much sense. Why didn't that occur to me? Thank you SO much ladies
    Well, yes it certainly could make sense that ds is a "better nurser" when the milk is flowing better. So you might not be off base with feeling he does better when your breasts are fuller.

If you are still concerned about the thrush I would revisit the subject with your HCP. How long did you take the Diflucan? It is certainly possible that you never got rid of the thrush fully. Here is a link to a wonderful article on thrush:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

Hang in there!

Default Re: Ditching the supplements--need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate View Post
    Well, yes it certainly could make sense that ds is a "better nurser" when the milk is flowing better. So you might not be off base with feeling he does better when your breasts are fuller.

If you are still concerned about the thrush I would revisit the subject with your HCP. How long did you take the Diflucan? It is certainly possible that you never got rid of the thrush fully. Here is a link to a wonderful article on thrush:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

Hang in there!
    I only took one dose! My OB and LC assured me it would be enough--but I read otherwise on websites online. Now I am skeptical. I wonder if I should consider taking the other doses..however, I don't want to expose my son to the Diflucan for nothing. I know a small amount passes through the breastmilk.
    Also, he has ALWAYS made a clicking sound with his tongue while nursing--could this just be normal for him? I have heard it can signify thrush, but he has always done it. I wonder if it has more to do with his tongue tie (even though we had his frenulum clipped at five days old).
    I thank you for the advice though! It would be such a dream for me to go back to comfortable full time nursing. Sigh!