Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ditching the supplements--need advice!

Default Ditching the supplements--need advice!

Hello there....

Wondering if anyone out there could share some advice or a similiar personal experience with me? I'm hoping for some encouragement!

Due to tongue tie, thrush, poor latch and slow weight gain, I was advised to start supplementing with formula at six weeks for my son. I have been supplementing for two weeks and finally, at two months old, he seems to have improved his nursing ability! That makes me very happy, and my lactation consultant would like me to lose the formula supplements and nurse full time again.

My problem though, is that I am worried about production. Due to pumping and supplementing, my supply has dwindled. To increase it, I am drinking Yogi mother's milk, plenty of water, and ofcourse non stop nursing!

Tonight I did use my medela Lacation Aid because I was just stressed thinking my DS wasn't getting enough! Do you ladies think that I will be able to increase my supply enough to sustain him without any supplements? It's hard for me to trust in myself. I have heard it can take days to increase your supply and I'm wondering if using the lactation aid even sparingly might hinder nature taking its course.
    Is there hope for me? What do you ladies think?

Default Re: Ditching the supplements--need advice!

you can reduce the formula slowly and your body will adjust and make more milk.
    count diapars thats the way to know baby is getting the milk they need.
    When my babies were small I would get out 6 diapars in the moring and if they didn't have them used by bed time I would try and offer an extra feed before bed when we were watching tv.
    You can do it. Baby is going to have days too when he askes to nurse more or less. Some how it all evens out.
    good luck!

Thank you!
    It is already getting rough, I am VERY sore from nursing so often. I'm going to try some other tricks like the oatmeal for breakfast and maybe fenugreek by itself!

when I phased out supplements, I decreased by 1 oz per day, every 2-3 days. Just make sure all his "output" stays normal and he's not unhappy as you go. If you need to go slower, that's ok.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Channy View Post
    Thank you!
    It is already getting rough, I am VERY sore from nursing so often. I'm going to try some other tricks like the oatmeal for breakfast and maybe fenugreek by itself!
    Ouch! This is not good. As you probably know nipples do not get sore from frequent feeds. So I would suggest that you are diligent with latch and also be aware of recurring thrush. How did you treat the thrush previously?

How did your LC suggest you eliminate the formula supplements?
    Have you ever pumped to increase supply, giving the pumped milk as a supplement?

You sound like a caring thoughtful mom who is trying her best! Hang in there...

Quote Originally Posted by LLLKate View Post
    Ouch! This is not good. As you probably know nipples do not get sore from frequent feeds. So I would suggest that you are diligent with latch and also be aware of recurring thrush. How did you treat the thrush previously?

How did your LC suggest you eliminate the formula supplements?
    Have you ever pumped to increase supply, giving the pumped milk as a supplement?

You sound like a caring thoughtful mom who is trying her best! Hang in there...
    Thanks for your response..yes, we do have latch problems! My son was born with tongue tie and although he did have it clipped, he is not the best nurser. I do have to re-position him alot! The entire time I have been supplementing I have used a Medela Haberman feeder so his suck would get stronger. However, my LC evaluated his latch several times and said it looked good. Something about his technique hurts me, and it is much worse when my breasts are low, after the initial let down. When my breasts are very full, such as during night feedings, he does very well!
    This puzzles me...could it be he damages my nipple out of frustration?
    Anyhow, I am concerned about thrush. I have a prescription for Diflucan still, and acidophilus tablets. Also, I have the anti-fungal cream. Last time, I used all of those things plus my son had the Nystatin.
    My breasts have been slightly itchy--I wonder if the pain could be from the thrush? I took a week or so break from nursing and exlusively pumped about two weeks ago to heal my breasts (doc felt it was necessary) as they were quite damaged.
    Do you think it is possible that I never got rid of the thrush? My baby is showing no symptoms, and I have no pain during pumping--only nursing.

ALSO--the LC never did mention "phasing out" supplements--that makes so much sense. Why didn't that occur to me? Thank you SO much ladies

P.S.--I have pumped to supplement, and I have a hospital grade Ameda pump. Should I be using it in between feeds to increase supply?
    Sigh....my world right now is CONSUMED with breastfeeding issues. It zaps the joy out of what is supposed to be so natural for some lucky moms.

Make sure that you first nurse, then use the lactation aid afterwards. Do not use the lactation aid throughout the whole feed like the directions say is okay to do. If you do use it through the whole feed, you risk the baby getting hooked on the tube. That is what happened to my babies. The LC I was seeing said that the babies would self wean from it around three months. Well, that never happened! Instead they got hooked! I have done tons of research and see that this is very common with using the lacation aid. I think with nursing and then using the tube, you will get your supply up to where you won't need the aid. Just get on it quickly though while your baby is still young. The older they get, the more they start liking the aid. Keep pumping to get things rolling faster. That will get your supply up so that you can ditch the tubes. I was told when I first started going through my situation that I didn't need to pump with using the lacation aid. That was further from the truth. The aid really dwindled my supply since the babies got supplement that cut in with what they got from me. So keep at it, you will get there!
    Mama to 2 wonderful girls (nursed 3 yrs.) and twin boys born 12/30/05 (stuck on the SNS due to pallate issues discovered very late) Thankful though that at least at the breast.

when you pump, consider doing it after you feed the baby for around 10 minutes each time. That way you tell an empty breast "make more!!!"

Thanks guys! I never put the lactation aid on until he has drained each breast on his own, because it seemed to me that was the only way to make my boobs see there was a demand there! LOL. Glad to hear that is the right thing to do.