Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can nipple soreness still exist with a good latch?

Default Re: Can nipple soreness still exist with a good latch?

By six weeks, bf is typically pretty well established. BF should not hurt. Some women do feel uncomfortable, especially when let down occurs, because the ducts are being stretched.
    Can she describe the soreness?
    Does it go away after let down? After a feeding?
    Is it sharp?
    Does the baby have any signs of thrush- diaper rash, white spots in mouth? Was mom on any antibiotics during delivery?

Nipple soreness can also be an indicator of a problem such as a plugged duct or thrush, so this may warrant some further investigation.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

My DD never had thrush, diaper rash, white spots, I never had antibiotics during delivery, no plugged duct......and our latch was perfect. It just took getting used to.

After 13 months of nursing, you learn the cause and effect of things. The nipple soreness was the effect of my nipples being sucked on vigorously fourteen times a day. After six weeks, the pain did start to subside, but the pain was not related to any other problems.

This is not to say that you shouldn't be on the lookout for warning signs of related problems, just to say that if there are no other problems and just the soreness, you're probably doing just fine. Hang in there, it does get better. Until and unless you get pregnant again....OUCH, this is a NEW kind of nipple soreness!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My LC also said that fairer skinned women tend to have more sensitive skin and therefore, more soreness

My LC said the same thing. I am also experiencing continued pain at about 9 weeks, although it is tolerable. I don't seem to see signs of thrush although we did have it before....hang in there. I know JUST how frustrating it is!

I am 3wk into BF. I have had good latch and no other problems like thrush, cracked, bleeding, etc., yet nipples are still sore. Granted they are not as sore as they were at the beginning. I hate the sensation - it's like my breasts are on fire and I'm on pins and needles. I kind of figured that breast soreness would continue despite good latch (contrary to what LC would like us to believe). I'm a first timer and it is very disheartening.