Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can nipple soreness still exist with a good latch?

Default Can nipple soreness still exist with a good latch?

My friend has a good latch but 6 weeks later still feels soreness. Is this normal? I imagine it is possible since every woman is different and it's also the first time anytime has been on the nipple for that long.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Can nipple soreness still exist with a good latch?

yes, it is normal, especially if baby is constantly at the breast!! i had sore nipples for a very long time with my son and he latched on pretty well. but b/c he nursing every hour on the hour, i was in so much pain.

Yes, totally normal. As a matter of my opinion, I think it's NOT normal to not experience the soreness. Seriously, nipples have never been sucked on for that long, that often before breastfeeding. It's a huge adjustment. I hate when lactation consultants say that you must be doing something wrong if it hurts. Not true.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I've been wondering this myself. My baby boy is three weeks old today and up until a day or two ago, we had some latching problems. We went back to the lactation consultants at the hospital a couple of times and I believe since yesterday, he's been latching on really well. But--it still hurts. Before, it was my nipple tips that hurt (some bleeding/cracking/sharp pains). But now, its my areola area feeling more of an achy pain.
    Its kind of disturbing when everyone tells you it shouldn't hurt. And since it does hurt, it makes me think maybe we don't have a good latch. I'm CONFUSED.

Thanks for your responses.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

It's also important to keep in mind that even after you get a latch fixed or whatever is causing excessive soreness it will still take a while to heal. I was reminded of this when my 11 mo took some skin off my nipple with his teeth. I had toe curling pain for about 4 days after that and it was sensitive for another 2. Any nipple damage is going to hurt until it has time to heal.

I've found that I get nipple soreness while nursing if I'm pumping, too. For some reason, it doesn't hurt to pump, but it makes nursing hurt. For me, anyways.

My little one has a good latch, but she really clamps down hard with her gums when she first latches on, which then makes me feel sore for the rest of the feed

Breastfeeding takes a little while to get used to. When my baby was 6 weeks, I was STILL sore. He is now three months old and occasionally there is still some soreness but only as he latches and while letdown is occuring, then is subsides.

Some soreness might still be normal, but a LOT of soreness, cracked nipples, bleeding, etc. indicates that the latch is still not good enough and/or a deeper problem like thrush, mastitis, clogged duct, etc.

I hate reading everywhere that you should only be sore for a few days! Hah! My son is 10 weeks old and we only recently got rid of the pain, now it's just a little pinching when he starts and then it's cool. My pain was caused by a number of reasons, first engorgement, then thrush in the milk ducts (OWWW) and I also truly believe some people just have way more sensitive nipples. Lots of professionals analyzed my son's latch and it's always been deemed good. I've struggled with a lot of pain but I'm so glad I stuck with it. It does get better eventually!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807