Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the rule about caffine?

Default What's the rule about caffine?

I know I'm supposed to limit caffine intake but is there a set amount? When i was pregnant my ob told me 1 coffee or 3 sodas. I never drank that much but at least I had a limit. Sometimes I just need a little pick me up!

Default Re: What's the rule about caffine?

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/caffeine.html

heres a link that talkes about it
    some babies are very sensitive to caffeine and will be fussy and stay awake all night.

oooo. And thats BAD! lol!

As you can see by the above link, most moms can enjoy a little coffee without worrying about the effects on their baby. You have to drink quite a bit of coffee (or other caffeine-containing products) to have it accumulate in the baby's system.

I know about pick-me-ups!

Hi All,

I'm also one who needs a coffee some times. I did ask the pead and he says not more than 3 cups a day is fine. MY DD is now 6 weeks.

I've tried taking once a day and my DD seems alright. My thoughts are not strong coffee but instant is fine? I don't take sodas and take my coffee in the morning or latest by 3pm. I try to not take it daily...just to be on the safe side.

So far, DD is able to sleep. I was also taking 1 cup a day when I was pregnant, but that was only in the 6mth onwards

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Lina

Oh my beloved coffee, how I would miss thee if thee were gone!!!

I drink 1-2 cups in the morning. Every morning. With DF working at Panera, my passion for coffee is only fueled even more. I have to try very hard to contain myself, lol.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    I drink 1-2 cups in the morning. Every morning. With DF working at Panera, my passion for coffee is only fueled even more. I have to try very hard to contain myself, lol.
    I would find it hard to stay away from the pastries... they are sooo yummy! Bearclaw, anyone?

I switched to decaf when I was pregnant (how boring, I know) but it really worked. I still drink it (2 cups a day). When I tried regular after having the baby, my body went berzerk. I occasionally have regular coffee and am OK with it, as is DD.

My 16 day old babe doesn't seem to notice the caffeine. But I'm surprised your doctor said 3 cans of pop. I was under the understanding that cola's had more caffeine than coffee.

Shows how little I know.

No, no... in order of greatest caffeine: Black tea, coffee, regular soda. This doesn't include any weird stuff like Jolt. My doc told me I could have 2 cups of coffee a day when I was pg, and since I don't like coffee, I happily drank my diet sodas.

Now, while BF, I have no problems with the occasional bit of caffeine, but since I still feel like I have mild supply issues, I limit it to one or two sodas every couple days and mostly drink water. Then again, I'm not affected by caffeine until I hit cup 5 of coffee, if I do drink it. And my LO seems to be the same way (so is DH, so it's not surprising).

However, that being said, I have a friend who couldn't even eat chocolate when she was pg or BF because her DD would get really cranky and upset (yes, in utero) and not sleep. So it all depends on the baby, really.

I try to drink coffee after a feeding that way my DD will have a few hours untill the next feeding. That usually works out well.