Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding only on one side,okay?

Default Feeding only on one side,okay?

My DD is 17 months and is still BFing morning, naps (when not working) and at bedtime and at least once in the middle of the night. Here is my question, she favors only my right side and therefore, my left produces close to nothing (when I pump). I pump once a day at work. I didn't pump the last two weeks b/c I was off and she really didn't nurse on my left side. Is it okay to just allow your DD to nurse on one side once they are beyond a year, or should I start working a little harder to get my supply on my left back? Any opinons? TIA

Megan

Default Re: Feeding only on one side,okay?

Hi Megan:

I think nursing on one side is ok. Some moms do this from day one if they have a medical problem with one of their breasts.

My DD is also 17 months and nurses in the morning and before bed, and before naps on weekends. I have been exclusively feeding her off of the right side for several months now. The right side is where DD has always been the most comfortable.

At this age I see nursing as more of a comfort tool than for nourishment. Maya gets most of her calories from solids and her vitamin D and calcium from cheese and yogurt (she's not a fan of cow's milk, but neither am I!). I see any BM she gets as an added bonus--kind of like those energy boosters you can have added to health smoothies.

Exclusivly nursing on the right side is meeting our needs, so I don't fret about weaning Maya from the left breast(although the left side is pretty saggy now compared to the right).

Kudos to you for still pumping . I just packed my pump away for long term storage, along with all of Maya's bottle paraphenalia (sp?). It was a bittersweet experience.

Default Re: Feeding only on one side,okay?

Gail,

Thanks for your advice. Your dd sounds just like mine. It has been so hard to get out of habit of being her only nourishment that I sometimes stress out about what I am doing. I had such issues with supply last year with her being only BFed that I had to pump 4-5 x's a day. I am happy to be down to one which I freeze after a week's worth of pumping for those mornings she is still sleeping when I leave for work.

I will probably stop pumping the left as it was a little painful today when I tried it.

I agree with you BM is an added bonus now that she is 17 months. I just wanted to hear I was doing okay in my thinking.

Thanks again.

Megan